Best answer

How to create a Slack thread "title" and answer on same thread as part of original message

• 16 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I successfully created an automation on Slack that posts a message on a private channel after certain trigger. Problem is in our company we use an “opening title” for the thread and then we answer the same thread as part of the original message. We do it this way because it’s easier for us to check all channel messages.

Example of how we work on channels (“Hilo” means “Thread”):

• This is how we view a thread detail:
  • This how we view messages on the channel (as threads): 

This is how I setup the Zap:

Comparison:

Is there any way I can set the Zap to create a “Title” and answer the same thread as part of the original message? I haven’t found any format settings that would help me to set it up like this.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by SamB 16 May 2023, 15:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @visaem, welcome to the Community! 👋

Ah, in order to get the message to be posted into a thread, you’d need to reference the parent message’s timestamp. 

So in the Thread field you’d need to select the Ts (timestamp) field for the (parent) message that triggers the Zap. For example:
918300b7a39ce0a386c68a40c981bd72.png

Can you give that a try and let us know whether that gets the messages posted into the correct threads?

Userlevel 1

Hi SamB, thanks for your answer. 

Would this option create a parent message and reply on same parent message? Because this is not what I understand when I read the description. If yes, how do I find Ts? Thanks again ^^

Userlevel 1

Ok I added some steps:

1. Create message
  2. Find message
  3. Reply message

Problem now is it can’t find any of the Timestamp fields (Ts, Ts Time or Mesage Ts) but it finds the permalink field. 

Problem is if I use the permalink field to reply to thread (step 3) it says “Failed to create a send private channel message in Slack”. 

It looks like I can’t use Ts fields because they’re not working but at the same time I need to use Ts fields otherwise I’ll get this error.

Any idea waht could be causing the error?

Thank you so much in advance.

Userlevel 1

I deleted step 2 and worked ^^ I think the problem was I was referring TS of “Find message” instead of Ts of message itself.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @visaem glad you were able to get to your desired outcome by removing that “Find” step. 🙂 We’ll be here if anything else comes up!