Best answer

How to create a notification off of a past due Quickbooks invoice?

• 10 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi!

Trying to understand if there is a way to create a notification off of a past due invoice. For example, creating a trigger off of a past due (net45) Quickbooks invoice and having the action be a slack message, a gmail, or some sort of notification once an invoice gets a certain point past due. 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by SamB 10 July 2023, 17:10

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @Maura! 🙂

I did some checking and found that we’ve got an existing feature request for the ability to trigger on past due invoices (as well as ones due in X number of days). Which sounds like it’s what you’re looking for here so I’ve added your vote to that.

I can’t make any promises as to when that sort of trigger would be added to the Quickbooks Online app, but we’ll be sure to email you as soon as it becomes available! 

In the meantime, do you have a different Zap that creates the invoice and sets the due date?

If so, I’m thinking you could add an action to that Zap to add a calendar event on the day the invoice is due, or X number of days after it. Then you could have a Zap that triggers when that event starts and sends out an email notification. Do you think that approach could work or are the invoices added manually?

Thank you so much for this answer! I definitely understand and appreciate you adding my vote :)

For the workaround - they are being added manually and then we utilize the recurring invoices feature in QuickBooks to bill monthly. Just trying to create some automation around past due invoice reach outs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re most welcome @Maura

Ah ok. Hmm, I think you could still potentially use the workaround event though the invoices are created manually. You’d just want to set up two Zaps instead of one. For example:

Zap 1 - triggers when a new invoice is created:

• Trigger: New Invoice (QuickBooks Online) - triggers when you create the invoice in QuickBooks Online. I’m not 100% sure if it would trigger for each recurring invoices separately. If not, you might need to set up the event as a recurring event on the next action step.
  • Action: Create Detailed Event (Google Calendar) - creates an event on the due date. Set the invoice number as the Summary (Title) for the event. 

Zap 2 - triggers when an invoice is due

• Trigger: Event Start (Google Calendar) - can be set to trigger when the event starts or X amount of time before it starts. 
  • Action: Find Invoice (QuickBooks Online) - searches for the invoice using the invoice number that’s used as the Summary for the event. Should be able to get you the details for the invoice and the billing email address that you can use for the To field on the next action step.
  • Action: Send Email (Gmail) - sends email notification taking information about the invoice from the previous action step.

Hope that helps. If you run into any issues in setting this up just let me know. Always happy to help further! 🙂