Best answer

How to create a new customer form through Jotform triggered by a new appointment in Square

• 15 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi there everyone.

I am brand new to Zapier so please forgive any stupidity…  :)

My wife runs a beauty salon and uses Square as her POS as well as appointment scheduler.  It works well and we have also exposed online appointment bookings via Sqaure.  What we are trying to accomplish now is to fire off a Jotform consent form whenever a client books in for an appointment online and we don’t have a consent form for them yet.

The logic that I am planning to implement is:

1. Zap triggers upon new appointment booking
  2. Zap checks to see if customer is in a customer groups in Square called “Consent received”
  3. If not send them a prefilled Consent form from Jotform

I then plan to also build another zap to process the consent form when received back from Jotform and place the client in the “Consent recieved” group.

I have checked and all the actions and triggers seem available in Zapier so no problem there.  My problem comes in very early in my Zap though.  It seems that the ONLY data field captured by the “New Appointment” trigger from Sqaure, that can identify the client is “Customer ID” which works fine.  To check if they are in the customer group or pre fill the form I need more for their data fields though.

So my next step was to run a “Find Customer” function against Square.  This is where I am stuck.  I have three choices of fields I can use to search for a Customer:

1. Email Address
  2. Phone Number
  3. Reference ID

I assumed “Reference ID” would take “Customer ID” returned by the “New Appointment” trigger and and I would have the Customer record.  At this point I just get a “Status Code 400 Bad Request” error.  no matter what I do.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Rudi

icon

Best answer by SamB 15 February 2023, 14:33

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @Rudi! 👋

There’s nothing to forgive, this is definitely a tricky one! Hmm, as you’ve already spotted, the Find Customer action only allows us to search for customers by Email, Phone or Reference ID. And Reference ID is not the same as the Customer ID unfortunately.

There’s an existing feature request open for the ability to search for customers by their Customer ID as well, so I’ve added your vote for that. We’ll be in touch by email as soon as that’s implemented. And we’ll share any news we might have on that feature request here in Community.

In the meantime, would you be able to get email notifications sent to your wife whenever a new appointment is booked? If yes, and those emails would contain the email address of the person booking the appointment then, you’d want the Zap to trigger on those emails instead. You’d likely also need to use a Formatter (Text > Extract Email Address) action to extract the email address from the email message. And then you could use that extracted email address as the value to search for in the Find Customer search action.

Do you think that approach could work for you here?

Thanks Sam.

I will have a play with that and see how I go.