Question

How to create a customized HTML SMTP email template?

• 12 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I use bluehost as my provider, we are all connected and emails are going perfectly, however they are very dull.

I’m abit confused by ZAPs body/html section.

Body is required field and HTML isn’t. Body is alot bigger than the HTML area too.

Do i leave the ‘body’ empty and then copy and paste my HTML in to the one line?

Do i write the email out in body and then again but with html in the html section?

For context, the HTML Email is a picture (header), the email, and then another picture (footer), customised email so dear [name] etc.

i don’t want to mess this up and theres no youtube videos or docs on here to help with this specific problem (gap in the market here!)

can someone help please and thanks :-)

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Soph x! 👋

It should be possible to use HTML for these emails! 🙂

Do i leave the ‘body’ empty and then copy and paste my HTML in to the one line?

No, it’s a required field so if you don’t enter a value into that Body field the Zap will error as it’s expecting to receive a value.

Do i write the email out in body and then again but with html in the html section?

You’d need to put in a plain text version of the email message into the Body field. It’s used as the fallback value if the email client isn’t able to accept HTML. See: Can I send HTML messages with a zap using SMTP?

I’m not sure why the HTML Body field appears to be smaller than the body field. I’d suggest trying the following approach:

• Create the HTML version of the email in another app and copy and paste it into that Body field.
  • Then in the Body field, select the relevant fields from the trigger (or other actions in your Zap) to help personalise the HTML version of the email with the recipient’s name etc. 
  • Once the HTML version is personalised, copy and paste that into the HTML Body field. 
  • Then go back to the Body field and remove the HTML. Or alternatively, if you’ve already got a plain text version of the email you can paste that into the Body field (replacing the HTML version) and reselect the necessary fields to personalise it if you would find that quicker. 

Hope that helps. Let us know if you run into any issues or questions in doing that, always happy to help further! 🙂