Question

How to copy messages and their replies over to another Slack channel correctly?

• 23 February 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a channel X in workspace A connected with channel Y in workspace B. I have an automation that messages posted to channel X are copied to channel Y. That works. Also replies to a message in channel X are  posted to channel Y. So far so good. But the replies in channel X are shown as new messages in channel Y, I would like that they are shown as replies in the thread of the message instead. Is that possible? I do not want to use Connections in Slack.

This is how it looks like in channel Y:

This is how it should look like in channel Y:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ama 

you will need to use paths to determine if the message from your trigger is a new post or a reply. Here is a thread that goes over how to identify if the message is a thread or a thread reply: 

If it is a thread then Go down path A and create a slack message, if it is a thread reply then go down path B and include the thread ts in your set up. 

@GetUWired 

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I added a path.

Trigger
New message posted to channel in Slack (workspace A)

Path A: Message
Rule: 1. TS equals Thread TS
Action: Send Channel Message in Slack (workspace B)

Path B: Thread
Rule: TS before Thread TS
Action: Send Channel Message in Slack (workspace B)

Path B does not work. Also I am not able to choose anything in the section “Thread”

What do I do wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

if the path criteria for B doesn’t work you can simply say if thread_ts and ts don’t equal. 

For the thread value, you will use the custom option to pass the thread timestamp from step 1