Question

How to copy and paste action step properties in Zapier?

• 4 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone!

Narek from OmniPatron here! 

One of the MOST time-consuming aspects of building Zaps I have experienced thus far is CONSTANTLY having to build action property links that link the Trigger-to-Action software. 

If you are working with HUNDREDS of properties that need to be connected, currently, Zapier requires you to make all these property connections from scratch EVERY TIME you create a new action step. 

What do I mean by this?

I created an action step for HubSpot to “Find Deal in HubSpot” related to my trigger software “Arive”. This step required me to manually-build 200+ property connections between my trigger software “Arive” with my action software “HubSpot”.

Now...

If I also want to put an action step to “Update Deal in HubSpot”...I cannot copy the action-property connections over from the “Find Deal in HubSpot” step, and instead have to MANUALLY RE-CONNECT ALL PROPERTIES!

If I am creating other HubSpot action steps, I have to AGAIN re-connect all properties! 

The amount of time this consumes is significant to say the least and is a COMPLETE WASTE of time since there is no strategy being done here once an initial action step connection has already been made...just mindless clicking and typing.

I need the community’s help in letting the Zapier programming team to PLEASE ALLOW US THE FEATURE TO COPY PASTE ACTION STEPS INDEPENDENTLY FROM ONE STEP TO ANOTHER.

Please chime in with your support and suggestions and thank you for reading this post!

Anyone else experienced this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @narekpapukyan,

Thank you so much for this valuable feedback, this is how we build and grow Zapier! I've submitted it to our internal database, which our product teams use when looking to make improvements and changes to Zapier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @narekpapukyan 

Check out this help article for how to reorder and duplicate steps/paths: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/9528974130957-Reorder-or-duplicate-action-steps-and-paths

Hi @narekpapukyan 

Check out this help article for how to reorder and duplicate steps/paths: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/9528974130957-Reorder-or-duplicate-action-steps-and-paths

Hi @Troy Tessalone ,

Thanks for the article link, but unfortunately this does not solve the problem. 

The duplicated step will only retain the property connections as long as you do not change the event type...but if you change the event type to anything other than what it was duplicated as, all of the property connections will break.

For instance, if the duplicated event type was “Create new contact” and you change it to “Update existing contact”, the entire action properties sub-tab will break all property connections, and you have to one-by-one reconnect them again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@narekpapukyan 

Yes, that is the expected behavior.

That is because the fields available, required, conditionally required are different across app endpoints (actions).

It would be the same as changing the app being used in a step, since the fields between apps are different.

In your case, this seems exacerbated because you are trying to map so many data points.

But keep in mind, once you have this configured correctly, it’s much better than doing the task manually without automation.

Zapier has introduced an AI feature to help with this, but there is not magic option as each Zap config is unique to your biz requirements.