Best answer

How to concatenate strings before integrating data to Salesforce instead of replacing values?

• 21 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all, I have an integration from Google Sheet to Salesforce and I need help combining texts value into Salesforce’s text field if there are 2 same SO Number

Firstly Zapier will look for the SO Number that the Google Sheet provide and use that SO Number to find the Record ID in Salesforce.

After it has found the Salesforce Record ID using the SO Number, I will update the Salesforce text field which is named Transportation Type.

Currently, my Zapier will replace the Transportation Type text field in Salesforce if another row is added with the same SO Number, what I am looking to do instead is to have it concatenate with a divider in between or something instead of getting replaced by whatever value is inserted with the same SO Number. (eg: Transportation Type: Freight | Sea)

Hope someone sees this, understand what I need and hopefully able to help me out. Cheers!

icon

Best answer by SamB 22 March 2023, 13:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sean Teoh 

Good question.

For us to have better context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

As well, please outline a specific example with actual data so we can trace the data flow.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone, thanks alot for taking the time to read my content and for being here.

I have attached 2 screenshots below which showcases the step-by-step of my Zapier and how the data looks like in my Gsheet.

So how the zap works is that it will be triggered when any column is updated/edited. The 2nd element which is the filter will check if column C (SO Number) is empty or not before proceeding to run, if it is empty it wouldn’t run and just end it. The 3rd step is to find the Orders Record in Salesforce because as you can see in my Google Sheet, we don’t input Salesforce Record ID so we have to find the ID through SO Number. Finally, the last Zap step is to update the following fields (Tracking Link, Transportation Type & Tracking Number) to my Salesforce field.

So as you can see I have the S.O No in my C Column and the Transportation Type in my M Column. Now the Zapier I have is to update my Salesforce Record to the latest updated S.O Number so in this case, I have created 2 rows with the same S.O No (121212), the latest created one (which has the transportation type of Shopee Express) will overwrite Test Express in my text field in Salesforce. 

What I want to achieve instead is to have them concatenated with a divider in between such as Test Express | Shopee Express instead of just Shopee Express overwriting Test Express in the field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sean Teoh 

We’ll need to see screenshots with how your Zap Step 4 is configured and to know what type of field in Salesforce you are trying to use.

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hey @Troy Tessalone , sorry for not being clear enough. Here is a screenshot of my Zap Step 4, the type of field in Salesforce I am trying to use is the Transportation Type field (for now) which is a text field in Salesforce.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Sean Teoh! 👋

It sounds like you’re looking to always keep the existing value in the Transportation Type field in Salesforce and just append additional values to it. Am I understanding that correctly? 

If yes, then you could try selecting both the existing value from the action that finds the order, and the value you want to append to it (separated by a “|” pipe) from the Google Sheet action. Which would look something like this:
e71859f6af403a2a166c6049ba801afd.png

That way the existing values in that field won’t be lost each time a new value is added from the Google Sheet. 

Hope that helps. Please do let us know whether that solves it, or whether I’ve totally misunderstood what you’re looking to do here! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @Sean Teoh! 👋

It sounds like you’re looking to always keep the existing value in the Transportation Type field in Salesforce and just append additional values to it. Am I understanding that correctly? 

If yes, then you could try selecting both the existing value from the action that finds the order, and the value you want to append to it (separated by a “|” pipe) from the Google Sheet action. Which would look something like this:
e71859f6af403a2a166c6049ba801afd.png

That way the existing values in that field won’t be lost each time a new value is added from the Google Sheet. 

Hope that helps. Please do let us know whether that solves it, or whether I’ve totally misunderstood what you’re looking to do here! 🙂

Hey @SamB , this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for your time to understand my question and for assisting me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are most welcome, @Sean Teoh. I’m so pleased it helped! 😁🎉