Best answer

How to automatically update an existing Live Item on the site after an update in an RSS Feed? Right

• 4 January 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I’m building a website for a podcaster who uses a platform that generates an RSS Feed of their episodes. I’m using Zapier to watch the RSS Feed for any new episodes, and if there are any new episodes, tell Webflow to create a web page with all of the data.

The problem I am running into is that if my client makes an edit on any of his past episodes, Webflow creates a brand new page (a duplicate of one that already exists). What I would like happen is for zapier to check and see if there’s already a existing episode on the site and make an update to the live item instead of creating a new one.

I have tried many things, and I’m wondering if anyone here has any ideas. Thanks for taking a look.

Feel free to poke around on Desktop (mobile not yet optimized):

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/the-startup-story?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=the-startup-story&preview=1a5291aabf7762f0ee1084e522fdec25&pageId=5df0765fc2f6ed84e1371dd9&itemId=5df4168b40a2f07415aeea1a&mode=preview

icon

Best answer by Danvers 6 January 2020, 10:10

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Could I ask what option you're using for 'What triggers a New Feed Item? The best option here is the Different Guid/URL option as that way, you should only get a new RSS item if the Guid or url is different, as opposed to any of the content.

image.pngIf you're already using that and something about your client's edits are causing the Guid or URL to change then the best thing I can suggest it is to create your own 'deduplication' list.

To do that, you'll need to add a step after the trigger that searches a Google Sheet for the details of the podcast. Use the 'Lookup Spreadsheet Row' action and add the option to create a row if none are found. Then add a filter step to the Zap, have the filter look at the information from the Google sheets step - you should see a field called 'Zap data was found'. Set the filter so that it only continues if that field says 'false'.

That way the Zap will only continue to add the podcast information to the website if the information wasn't already in the sheet.

I hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions!