Question

How to automatically transfer new folders and files from Box to Dropbox?

• 12 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I made a post about this around 20 days ago or so, and @Troy Tessalone helped me create an empty folder of the same name in Dropbox when a folder is created in Box, but…

This doesn’t really solve my problems. I need Zapier to track not only when a new folder is made, but when files are added to this new folder. 

For example: 

Let’s say that I have a folder in Box, called “FOLDER A”. I have a zap set up for “FOLDER A” saying that whenever a new folder is created within FOLDER A, a new folder--with the same name--is created in “FOLDER B” in Dropbox. So, let’s say that “FOLDER X” is created inside FOLDER A in Box (a subfolder of Folder A), and “FILE Z” is added to that folder moments later. Can I create a Zap that transfers over copies of both “FOLDER X” and its contents, “FILE Z”, automatically to “FOLDER B” in DropBox, without me needing to manually set up an entirely seperate zap that tracks files entering FOLDER X in Box and uploads copies of those files to FOLDER B in Dropbox?

I hope that explanation isn’t too confusing. I just need Zapier to track when a new folder is created in Box and new files are added to that folder, and then I need Zapier to transfer copies of both the folder and its contents to Dropbox. Is this at all possible?

Thanks for any and all help with this. If it isn’t possible, I don’t think Zapier will work for what I need to do.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jed 

For Box and Dropbox, you have to specify the Folder to watch for new Files.

Subfolders won’t trigger the Zap.

You’d likely have to configure more advanced approaches with the APIs/webhooks for these apps to monitor new folders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jed 

Alternatively, you may want to try using a different app.

Check out Content Snare: https://zapier.com/apps/content-snare/integrations

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

What would configuring more advanced approaches with API’s / webhooks entail? I’m not familiar with any computer programming languages, so if this involves any knowledge of coding, I might be out of luck. 

I know subfolders won’t trigger the zap, so essentially I have to figure out a way for those 2 apps to go more into depth in their tracking, i.e. track folders within folders..? I’m confusing myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jed

Q: What would configuring more advanced approaches with API’s / webhooks entail?

A: Not fully sure as I haven’t solved for this specific use case yet, but it would depend on if the apps involved support the desired functionality with their APIs/webhooks.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Understood. I have a somewhat seperate question now:

In my zap of “when a new folder in Box is created, create a new folder in Dropbox with the same name” , the folder that is created in Dropbox is, actually, 2 folders: A folder with the wrong name (the name of Box folder the Zap is hooked up to), and within that folder, is the correct folder. I’ve attached screenshots of my Zap and of my Dropbox so you can see what I mean. 

(The events for the Box app is set to New Folder, and the event for the Dropbox app is set to Create Folder.)

I appreciate all of your help in all of my forum posts!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jed 

The attachments didn’t upload.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

Is it a PNG problem? Weird. Hopefully these work:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jed 

Try testing with your Zap ON.

Then check your Zap Runs to see the history log details for the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you troubleshoot.

https://zapier.com/app/history/