Question

How to automate VAT and corporation tax filing tasks with Zapier?

• 17 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Can Zapier help and automate these repetitive tasks for me:

Every quarter we need to file VAT and (corporation tax) so these are the tasks my accountant is typically asking:

We have posted the invoices available on dext and Bank has been reconciled through transactions extracted by auto feed till quarter ended 31st Jul 2023.

Please see our below queries and let us know your responses-

1. Please share invoices for the transactions mentioned in the attached bank query Excel sheet.
  2. Bank statement is required in pdf format to verify closing balance.
  3. Amex Credit card statement required from period beginning 01.03.2023 to till date.
  4. Please share lease documents for Car Autolease.
  5. Amazon receipts

As you can see it is so manual and time intensive. How to use Zapier to automate these at one click. Thank you

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community @scheung38! 👋

Wow there’s quite a lot to get through, think it best if I respond to each requirement in individually here…

1. Please share invoices for the transactions mentioned in the attached bank query Excel sheet.

What you’d need is a “Find Invoice” action for Dext to allow you to run a search for invoices relating to the transactions in the Excel spreadsheet. I’m not seeing any such action available so I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team to request that they open up a feature request on your behalf for that to be added. You can do that here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

2. Bank statement is required in pdf format to verify closing balance.

You’d also need an action to export or generate a bank statement, is that possible to do within Dext? If so, you’ll want to reach out to our Support team to put in a feature request for an “Export/Generate Bank Statement” action to be added.

If not, do you usually obtain the bank statement PDF from another banking app? If so, what bank/app is used and how is that done? Do you need to log into the bank/app and download the statement, or is it sent to you by post/email? Knowing this information will allow us to confirm what’s possible.

3. Amex Credit card statement required from period beginning 01.03.2023 to till date.

Again, is this currently possible to do within Dext? If so, then another feature request will be required as I’m not seeing any action to “Export a Credit Card Statement”.  

If the credit card statement is generated outside of Dext, is that done within the Amex website? Or does Amex send an email with the credit card statement attached? If it’s emailed, then it’s possible that you could trigger a Zap form those emails and obtain the credit card statement that way.

4. Please share lease documents for Car Autolease.

Are these lease documents stored within Dext? Or are they stored in an app like Google Drive or Dropbox? If they are stored within Dext, then yet again you’d need to open up a feature request to be able to search for and obtain existing documents. If the files are on a service like Google Drive/Dropbox then you could use a “Find a File” type of action to locate the file and that can then be sent to your accountant.

5. Amazon receipts

It looks like Dext has a few triggers related to receipts (Export Receipts When Ready, Export New Processed Receipt Data and New Processed Receipt Notification). They would run each time a new receipt is processed in Dext, rather than exporting all Amazon related receipts all at once. But you could set up a Zap to trigger from the new receipts that relate to Amazon and add a copy of them to specific folder in an app like Google Drive etc. Then you could send the accountant a link to access the files in that folder.

You might want also to look at using a Digest by Zapier action in the Zap as it would allow you create a list of all the receipts added to the Google Drive Folder and schedule an email to be sent the Account at a certain day/time. You can learn more about using Digest by Zapier here: Compile data in a digest in Zaps. Do you think that approach could work for you here?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!