Question

How to automate recurring invoices for Kajabi with Stripe & PayPal using Zapier?

• 20 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey everybody. I want to automate the invoice process via Zapier. This seemed doable at a first glance but I'm now struggling. 

I have Kajabi as our course getaway and then offer Stripe and PayPal as payment options. 

I was able to create an invoice when a new purchase is done via Kajabi. And this is great and works for one time payments and the first payment of a subscription. In the checkout page I collect all the info I need to create the invoice (VaT number, Tax Number and usual stuff). 

My issue is future subscription payment. The trigger I used is based on the original purchase in Kajabi and Kajabi does not offer new transaction as a trigger in Zapier.

I can try and match the info I got from the purchase to future payments (stripe should be fine but PayPal not so easy because nothing could potentially match). 

As a context: we cannot switch invoice tool due to Italian regulations as the invoice must be sent to the national exchange system and Xero for example does not have this feature. So I need to be able to collect all the info I need from customers in order to create the client in the invoice tool and also know when a new payment has been done to actually create the invoice. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello and welcome to the Community @Micra! 😁

Hmm, looking at the available triggers and search actions for the Kajabi app I’m not seeing any trigger that would trigger on the repeat payment and no search action that would allow you to search for the necessary details to create the invoice in. So it may be best to reach out to the Support team to have them open up a feature request on your behalf for this. 

As a workaround, perhaps you could set up a Zap that stores the necessary information for the intial subscription purchase into something like Zapier Tables? Then when your PayPal and Stripe Zaps run you could use search actions in those Zaps to find the matching record for the subscription and use the information from the record it found to fill out the Xero invoice. 

Do you think that could work or would the PayPal trigger not provide any sort of unique identifier (like an email address) that could be used to search the table for the relevant record?

Thank you so so much for replying! I’ve been trying to fix this for the past 30h….

I came to the same conclusion. I already spoke with Kajabi and they said they will add this to the feature request lists but I need to find a solution for now. 

My worry is Paypal. From past experience, the Paypal email they use to pay is not always the same one they use to purchase the product so there would be no way for me to match the payment with the client contact.

For example, I’ve seen a wife use her husband's PayPal. So Paypal says the transaction has been paid by John with the email husband@email.com and I have no way of Knowing he is the husband of Lisa who has purchased via Kajabi using her email wife@email.com… this is the real struggle.

I thought we could ask about all the invoice details on the thank you page but we must do an invoice and if they don’t fill it it’s gonna be hard to collect it later. Collecting at checkout seems the safest.

I also suggested only using Stripe but my client says most of her clients do use Paypal so it would be hard not to offer it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Happy to help, @Micra

Hmm, would it be possible to get a subscription/client reference number that’s unique to them, added automatically in PayPal? If not, could the client ask their clients that use PayPal to enter in a subscription/client reference number, when making the payment in PayPal. 

Just thinking that would then allow the Zap to perform a search for that specific subscription/client reference number in Zapier Tables to find the relevant record.

Looking forward to hearing from you!