Question

How to add multiple delays on one Zap

• 9 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I am trying to create a Zap that pauses a subscription on Chargebee and sends a message on Slack after a customer has an unpaid Invoice for a total of 15 days. I wanted to create “checkpoints” in the delays so that invoices that are paid halfway wouldn’t have an active Zap anymore, but I am not sure if this is the most efficient way of doing it. Also, when I was testing the steps while making this, the delays weren’t stacking, they were all making the trigger date the start date; is this always the case? [In the picture below I only have some of the delays, filters, and fetches (to grab the latest status); I am aware that the pause and slack steps are not in the picture.]

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MichelleT 

The way you’ve designed the Zap steps with the checkpoints will use extra tasks which seems unnecessary.

Here’s an alternative approach.

Log the Due Invoices in Airtable.

Airtable has Views which can have Filter conditions.

Airtable has Automations that have a native integration with Slack.

Views can be used to trigger Zaps.

The concept being you’d log the Due Invoice as a record in the Airtable Base Table.

Then configure a formula field to count the days between TODAY and another Date field

In the View, you would have a Filter condition where Date >= 15.

When matching records enter the View, it would trigger an Airtable Automation to send the Slack Channel Message.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

Thank you for responding so quickly, but I don’t think that we would like to have yet another piece of software involved in our solution. Would there be another suggestion that doesn’t mean buying services from someone else?

Thank you in advance~!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MichelleT 

I’d recommend simplifying the Zap steps by removing all the extra “checkpoint” logic to save Zap Tasks.

Help articles to review for using Delays in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/delay/help

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Just to make sure I got this right, you would suggest to simply make one delay of the full 15 days, correct?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MichelleT 

Correct.

No harm in letting the Zap Run play out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Our main concern, and the main reason, for why we thought of using these “checkpoints” in the first place was because of our fear that there would be too many invoices triggering this Zap. Would you still think letting it play out would be alright?

Please excuse my never ending stream of questions, and thanks yet again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MichelleT

Your Zap trigger looks to be a webhook from Chargebee for when an Invoice is updated.

If true, then that will trigger the Zap to run any time there is an update to an Invoice, which may be excessive for what you are trying to do.

We would need more context about which Chargebee webhook event(s) you have configured for this.

https://apidocs.chargebee.com/docs/api/events

If you only want this Zap to run once for an invoice, then perhaps try using a different Zap trigger.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Right, that’s the trigger that I had initially, however we want to track the 15 days since the Invoice has been updated to Payment Due. That timeline would be difficult to track if we used that trigger, for when invoices are being created. The current webhook is looking at invoice_updated but now I am thinking that it might be better to switch it out for pending_invoice_updated.