Question

I am trying to understand how Transfer works

• 31 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am trying to understand how Transfers work.
1) I connected a Google Sheet to Gmail
2) Put some emails in there with names 
3) I went through the set up and set the Transfer to occur EVERY HOUR
4) As the first hour came around (@ 6pm) I got my 4 emails; this was good
5) At the second hour (7Pm), I did not get any emails and my thinking was that I did not change the data in Google Sheets so it did not trigger
6) So I changed some of the data in Google Sheets and waited until 9pm and I did not get any emails

So how does this work?  
1) How does the Transfer trigger to run every hour?

Thanks 
GML

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @blueguy 

Good question.

Zapier help article about Transfer: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496274335885-Bulk-import-data-into-apps-with-Transfer

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Troy:

I have read that article several times already; if you schedule a transfer (like every hour as I did) it does not state what triggers that transfer.  Is it every hour? Or do you need to have new data as the source data every hour?  If you don’t change the source data, will the transfer just trigger on the same data hour after hour?

In my case, the Transfer has only worked on the 1st hour and has never triggered again….even when I changed the data (but did not increase the number of rows).

Thus my question…

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueguy 

I think the Transfer from GSheets will only work for new rows, not updated rows.

Again, something that could be tested pretty easily to confirm.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Troy:

You should clarify the “new rows”

Would that be “new rows” at the bottom of the existing rows?

Or could that be “new rows” that are pasted over the existing rows?

Or could that be “new rows” in that the existing rows have been changed in some way?

What triggers the Transfer is not clear from the documentation….

Thank you for the responses, however…

GML

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueguy 

I don’t know for sure, but my guess is new rows that were previously blank, as pasting over rows with existing data would likely be considered an updated row.

All those are use cases you can test pretty easily.

You may want to open a ticket with Zapier Support to provide your feedback about this confusion: https://zapier.com/app/get-help