Skip to main content
Best answer

How do Zap task counts work with Loops where only actions after the loop use tasks?

Hi,

I understand a zap will run the same amount of times as there iterations in a loop. However, I appear to be getting the same amount of task usage for each zap run. Even though the looping part of the zap only has the loop step and two actions after it.

For example, a Zap has a total of 10 steps, step 8 is the loop, step 9 and 10 are actions after or within the loop. The loop has 3 iterations. The 1st Zap run uses 8 tasks, however so do the 2nd and 3rd zap runs. Is this correct?

Can someone please clarify the first bullet point below from Zapier Support. Should this read ‘Any actions that run’ i.e plural?

How many tasks do loops use?

• An action that runs before the loop will appear in each Zap run but only use 1 task.
  • The looping step doesn't count towards your task usage
  • Each action step after the loop will use 1 task for each loop that runs. For example, if your loop runs 500 times, an action step after the looping step will use 500 tasks when the Zap runs.

Many thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @gloheating 

Can you post screenshots to give more context about the Task counts from your Zap Runs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@gloheating 

Check your Zap Runs > Task Usage tab for true Task usage counts: https://zapier.com/app/history/usage

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks, I’ve just compared the tasks counted on the zap runs against the task counted on the task usage tab, and it is indeed different. The task usage tab matches what I would expect i.e the actions previous actions to the loop are not counted as tasks in the loop iterations, except for the first run.

Thanks.