Skip to main content
Best answer

How do we make GiveButter transactions with QuickBooks Online as separate line items?

• 31 October 2023
  • 6 replies

I created a Zap to sync GiveButter transactions to QuickBooks Online.  The GiveButter transaction has two line items.  However, the Zap is combining the two line items into one, separating them by a comma.

The GiveButter transaction has two line items:

line_items: 

1:

type: donation

subtype: donation

description: Donation to XXXXXXXX

quantity: 1

price: 5

discount: 0

total: 5

2:

type: donation

subtype: fee

description: Processing fee

quantity: 1

price: 0.46

discount: 0

total: 0.46

However, for some reason the Zap is merging the two line items into one, separating them by a comma

line_items 1

line_item_qty 1,1

line_item_id 3

line_amount 5,0.46

line_description Donation to XXXXXXXX,Processing fee

service_date 2023-10-31T11:17:00+00:00

line_item_price 5,0.46

When it gets to Quickbooks the Amount is 50.46.  I would like the processing fee to be on a separate line item. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Brian Barnett 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to help give us context.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was able to figure it out.  Turns out after the data leaves the GiveButter trigger step the line items are combined and comma separated.  I added a  Line Itemizer in Utilities Formatter step between the GiveButter trigger and the QuickBooks component.

That did the trick!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s an amazing news @Brian Barnett! I’m glad to hear you were able to get it sorted!

Also, thank you for sharing the solution on this thread this will be helpful to our other awesome Community members who might have a similar issue.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @ken.a!  I’m new to Zapier.  It is great to know there is such a helpful community around to help when needed!

@Brian Barnett, can you share your Zap with me? I’m having the exact same problem. Thank you!!

Michele

Userlevel 2
Badge

@daisies5 Hi Michelle,

I tried sharing it but the template didn’t include all my field selections, so I’ll have to describe it to you.

Here is a link to the template just in case you want to use it as a starter.

https://zapier.com/shared/e41a61b545dafc1ce5326663a925940307d0b3b0

It has 3 steps

1. Trigger - New Transaction in GiveButter
  2. Utilities in Formatter by Zapier - I used the Line Itemizer (Create/Append/Prepend) Transform
    1. Line-item(s) Group Name: Donation-Line-Items
    2. Line-item Properties - you’ll need to add two properties
      1. Description
        1. [GiveButter field: Transactions Line Items Description]
      2. Amount
        1. [GiveButter field: Transactions Line Items Total]
  3. Create an Invoice in QuickBooks Online
    1. Customer: pick a customer, we have a generic customer we use here.  I think you can add a step to find the customer if you need to do that.
    2. Email
      1. [GiveButter field: Email]
    3. Invoice Date
      1. [GiveButter field: Created At]
    4. Invoice Number
      1. [GiveButter field: Transactions ID]
    5. Line Items
      1. Service Date:
        1. [GiveButter field: Created At]
      2. Product/Service
        1. Pick yours from the list (list comes from QuickBooks)
      3. Description
        1. [Utilities in Formatter by Zapier field: Output Donation Line Items Description]
      4. Amount
        1. [Utilities in Formatter by Zapier field: Output Donation Line Items Amount]
      5. Message Displayed on Invoice
        1. [GiveButter field: Giving Space Message]
      6. Message Displayed on Statement - I concatenated these fields and text together so we know who made the donation and the campaign they donated to.
        1. [GiveButter field: First Name] [GiveButter field: Last Name] donation from GiveButter.  Campaign code [GiveButter field: Campaign Code] Fee covered by donor ($[GiveButter field: Fee covered]) added as a line item.  The Discount is the processing fee.
      7. Discount Value
        1. [GiveButter field: Fee]

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian