Question

How do we create a two-way Notion-Linear integration using Zapier?

• 2 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Has anyone used Zapier to create an effective notion + linear integration?

Our customers use Notion to make requests and then we create engineering tickets from those requests in Linear.
So I want to create:When new issue created in Notion then create issue in Linear :white_check_mark:  (and I'm able to do that.)
But I also want to do:When issue updated in Linear, update issue in Notion :x: 
(and I can't)I'm having trouble finding a way to set an identifier that links issue XYZ in linear to the corresponding issue in Notion and vice versa.

I would LOVE input / help. Please!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @luchiloo 

Good question.

For the first Zap from Notion to Linear, add another step to log the Linear Issue ID in a new field.

Then you can lookup the Notion Item by this ID to then update the Notion Item.

“add another step to log the Linear Issue ID in a new field” -- could provide a screenshot of what that might look like? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@luchiloo

What do I select for Item

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @luchiloo,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

You will need the Item ID from the trigger step and map that to the “Item” field of the “Update Database” step as a custom value.

Hopefully, this helps!

So, I tried this - and it then maps to that SPECIFIC item. i.e. now every time a new database item is created in Notion, then this SPECIFIC item gets updated. So when I set this live this particularly ticket got updated a bunch of different times as new tickets were created. 

Then I tried with the Linear ID:

and got

So still unsuccessful :/ 

More help would be very appreciated!!! 

I also tried:

and but then when I run it:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @luchiloo,

The last screenshot you’ve sent looks good, I’m not entirely sure why it’s returning an error:

dd4fd95c-2478-4978-b5ec-c231c6d3023d.png
(view larger)

Could you please try clicking on the “Skip test” button and then publish the Zap? Are you still seeing that error when the Zap goes live?

Please keep us posted!