Question

How do I use Zapier to send an SMS reminder with a payment link after 10 days of invoice creation in Xero?

• 8 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I am looking at Zapier as a possible automation tool for our Accounting clients.

What we want to do is as follows:

When a new Sales Invoice is created in Xero

Delay by 10 days (easy)
After the 10 days use Twilio SMS to send an SMS reminder and payment link.

This is where it gets tricky as we want to grab the sms number to text from the invoice we created in Xero and then we want to send the specific Xero payment link.

Is this achieveable with Xero, Zapier and Twilio SMS

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @PeterREV,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I wouldn’t anticipate that being a problem!

Here is how I see the Zap for the workflow that you have in mind:

1. Trigger: Xero - New Sales Invoice
  2. Action: Delay by Zapier
  3. Action: Twilio - Send SMS

You can check out suggested workflows for Xero and Twilio from our website: https://zapier.com/apps/xero/integrations/twilio

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction! 😊

Hi there,

Yes that sounds simple enough and was what I was trying to do but Twilio needs to know what phone number to SMS and I don’t see how it’s able to dynamically get this from the Xero invoice.

​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @PeterREV,

Xero does support custom fields. I’m not really familiar on how to setup Xero, but is it possible for you to configure the invoice in a way that the Zap can easily retrieve the phone number? You'd need to ensure that the phone number is stored somewhere in Xero that Zapier can access. For example, you could store the phone number in the “Contact” associated with the invoice. Like in this representative sample data:

ea53949ef9905a2eaf47906b1e3a1cd4.png
(view larger)

Additionally, I’d like to share this amazing Community post that talks about creating your workflow with Zapier: 

Hopefully, this helps! 😊