Question

How do I use Zapier to export old labeled emails from Gmail to Google Sheets?

• 5 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey all, newbie here!

I’m trying to use the New Labeled Email to create a Zap that exports data from old form emails to a Google Sheet. I’ve got about 80 emails with data I’d like to export, and I’ve applied the same filter to all of them in my Gmail. However, when I run the Test function for the trigger in Zapier (Trigger being: New Labeled Email in Gmail) - none of the original emails are found, only emails that replied to the original form email.

For context, a sales lead will submit a form on my Squarespace website. That will generate a form that is emailed to my gmail account. I will reply to that email, which will automatically populate the sales lead’s email address - so the original form is embodied in the thread conversation. Thus, this Trigger is finding only the replies - not the original form email.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Ultimately, I’m hoping to export the data in each of the form fields to individual columns in a Google Sheet, but so far I’m off to a rocky start. 

Thanks very much for your time!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ZapItJon 

To help us have more context, post screenshots with how the Zap steps are outlined and configured, along with examples from Squarespace and Gmail.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Troy. Here’s the form email with data I wish to capture:

Here is how I have the Zap set up so far:

In the Test section, the only emails that seem to come up (no matter how many times I click “Find new records”) are either A) a “Boomarang” (chrome app) notification of the next email being returned to my inbox or B) The 4th email in a thread.

The four emails of the thread are: 
1) the original form email (the one I’m ultimately hoping to export data from into a spreadsheet) 
2) An email sent as a follow up to a phone conversation with the possible client. (I replied to the form email, and it auto-populates the email address of said client)
3) The same (I believe) Boomarang email mentioned above
4) Another email follow up email I sent. Again, this last email is the one that comes up in my test results.

Try as I may, I can’t figure out how to isolate solely the first form email. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ZapItJon 

Help article about resources for email parsing: