Best answer

How do I update YouTube video descriptions and tags with Zapier?

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to update the description (and ideally the tags as well) of a YOUTUBE video. Now the video in every case already exists… I tried to use the Action builder but it always returned 400 Bad Request. 

Does anyone have any idea or a template how to only modify the description parameter of a single video?

Would really help me out.

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by ken.a 22 July 2024, 12:04

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jpres 

You would likely have to explore creating a Custom Action (with the help of AI) or using the YouTube API via the API Request action: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs

Hi Troy,

the custom action did not work so far it always added a snippet {description} and I received a 400 error

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpres 

For us to have more context, post screenshots with these:

• error
  • how the Zap step is configured
  • how the custom action is configured

Attached the setup and response. I just entered about the same query as in my question… it generated 3 different samples… they all did not work

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpres 

The error code indicates and invalid or empty video title.

I passed the video ID… tried it with the link and the embedded link as well all did not work

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpres 

You may have to pass the Video Title in addition to the Video ID and Video Description.

No, does not work! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jpres 

Per the YouTube API endpoint documentation for updating a video: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/videos/update

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@jpres are you familiar with a little bit of coding? I think Troy is correct - you are not passing the right params over in the API request custom action block for Youtube. The custom action by Zapier did not suggest the correct request body. If you need more help directly, please let me know! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @jpres,

I’m so sorry for the delayed response here.

Updating the description of the existing YouTube video is not possible at the moment since the current YouTube integration doesn’t have the “Update Video” action. However, we have an open feature request for this exact functionality.

I have added you to the feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps!