Question

How do I update Todoist from Trello card updates?

• 7 October 2022
  • 8 replies

So I am working on getting Trello cards to convert over to Todoist, which I have been able to figure out. What I cannot figure out is how to get todoist to mar cards as completed once they have been marked in Trello or how to add due dates in Trello that carry over to Todoist.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Atwood! Great question and appreciate you reaching out in the community! 🤗

Hmm, I wonder if you could achieve this by using the Trello trigger “Card Updated” and filtering by the “Done” board?

So it might look like:

1. Trello Trigger - “Card Updated”
  2. Filter “List Name” - Done
  3. ToDoist Action - “Find Task”
  4. ToDoist Action - “Mark Task as Completed”

Do you think that could work for your workflow?

Regarding your second question are you able to clarify your specific use case around the due dates? 🙂 For example are you looking to create new cards in Trello with a due date and then create new tasks in Todoist accordingly? Knowing the specifics may help us give you a more detailed answer. 

Thanks so much and looking forward to digging in further with ya!

So I am having trouble getting Todoist recognizing those actions, but I am a beginner at this so I might just be doing it wrong.

So what I would love to be able to do when the zap is working is to create a due date for a card in Trello and that due date carries over with the card to Todoist. The cards currently add but they do not carry the due date so I have no way of knowing when they are due in Todoist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Atwood!

To add the due date to the task in todoist, click on the Due date field in the Todoist action and select the Card due field from Trello. That will pass the information from Trello to Todoist for that task. 

If you’re still having some trouble with this, could I ask a couple of question to clarify what you need? Are you creating new cards in Trello with due dates, or are you updating existing cards to add a due date? Or both? And would you like to create a brand new task each time in Todoist, or would you like to create a new task when a new card is added and then update that task when you update the card in Trello?

I hope that’s clear, I want to make sure that we can get this right for you :)

I believe it’s clear! My main goal is to add cards with due dates in Trello and have all of that info carry over to Todoist. I am also trying to figure out where if I move a card in Trello to a different board or possibly archive a card in Trello, it updates the Todoist task to being completed. That is my overarching goal, where I can just add and complete stuff in Trello and Todoist follows those actions. We mainly add new cards in Trello for every task, so we are rarely updating cards, and when we are done with the task we will move the card to a different board. Hopefully I was able to give you helpful information!

I believe it’s clear! My main goal is to add cards with due dates in Trello and have all of that info carry over to Todoist. I am also trying to figure out where if I move a card in Trello to a different board or possibly archive a card in Trello, it updates the Todoist task to being completed. That is my overarching goal, where I can just add and complete stuff in Trello and Todoist follows those actions. We mainly add new cards in Trello for every task, so we are rarely updating cards, and when we are done with the task we will move the card to a different board. Hopefully I was able to give you helpful information!

@Danvers @christina.d 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Atwood, thanks for additional information :) 

There are a couple of different ways to do this, but this is how I would do it. First, add a field to your Trello cards that’s called ‘Todoist Task ID’. Then create the Zap outlined below:

1. Trello: New Card
  2. Todoist: New task
  3. Trello: Update Card - Add the Task ID from the task that was just created into the Todoist task ID field on the Trello card

As I mentioned you can add the due date in Todoist by using the Card Due field from Trello as the due date in the Todoist action. 

To update the tasks when they are completed, set up a Zap like this:

1. Trello: New Activity (select the Card Moved to Board activity
  2. Todoist: Update Task 

For the update task action, you need to select a specific task. To do that, for the Task field, select the Custom option and use the ID from the Todoist task ID field on the Trello card.  

Those two Zaps together will create and update tasks in Todoist based on new and moved cards in Trello :) 

For the update task action, you need to select a specific task. To do that, for the Task field, select the Custom option and use the ID from the Todoist task ID field on the Trello card.  

This is the part that I am having trouble with now as whatever I put in this field does not work. I have tried many different things and maybe I am just misunderstanding what information needs to be put there. I just keep getting the Status Code 400 and a failed Zap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Atwood! Hmm, are you seeing the Status Code 400 after you’ve turned the zap on?

Are you able to share a screenshot (with any personal details removed) of your setup in the “Update Task” action step?

If you’re using a custom field in Trello to capture the Todoist Task ID, you should be able to view that under the Custom tab.

Keep us posted! We definitely want to make sure you’re all squared away here.