Best answer

How do I update Mailchimp tags from Google Sheets?

• 21 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi guys, first question here. 

All of our mailchimp audience is automatically exported to a master list which is in Google Sheets. 

Every month, we reconcile this list to see which leads sold, or which leads after 30 days became cold. 

What I want to do, is have Zapier, automatically update a tag in mailchimp if we update the tag column in Google sheets. 

I tried using add or remove a tag functions but both of them did not work. Hopefully with this text example, someone can assist. 

Current Stage:

Ex.  Google Sheets (Tags) Master List, Warm Lead     MailChimp (Tags) Master List, Warm Lead

Ex.  Google Sheets (Tags) Master List, Sold Lead    MailChimp (Tags) Master List, Warm Lead

Ex.  Google Sheets (Tags) Master List, Cold Lead   MailChimp (Tags) Master List, Warm Lead

Updated Stage:

Ex.  Google Sheets (Tags) Master List, Warm Lead     MailChimp (Tags) Master List, Warm Lead

Ex.  Google Sheets (Tags) Master List, Sold Lead     MailChimp (Tags) Master List, Sold Lead

Ex.  Google Sheets (Tags) Master List, Cold Lead     MailChimp (Tags) Master List, Cold Lead

MailChimp needs to be automatically update the (Tags) once they have been updated in Google Sheets.

icon

Best answer by SamB 22 August 2023, 11:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Olifer88, welcome to the Community! 👋

Ah, the Tag field in the Add/Update Subscriber (Mailchimp) action would only add new tags to a subscriber, it doesn’t replace the existing tags.

I think what you’d need to do here is have an additional column in the spreadsheet that stores the previous stage tags the user had. And you overwrite that with the previous stage tags each time you update the other stage column. Then you could use a
Remove Subscriber from Tag (Mailchimp) action to remove any existing tags, followed by a Add/Update Subscriber action to add the necessary tags again.

So the Zap would look like this:

• Trigger: New or Updated Spreadsheet Row (Google Sheets) - triggers when a specific column is updated. It will also run when a new row is added so I’d recommend adding a filter to ensure it doesn’t continue to run for new rows.
  • Action: Only Continue If... (Filter by Zapier) - uses the Exists rule to check whether there’s a value in the “previous stage” column. This ensures the Zap only runs for existing subscribers that have had their stage updated.
  • Action: Remove Subscriber from Tag (Mailchimp) - removes the existing tags using the tags listed in the “previous stage” column in Google Sheets.
  • Action: Add/Update Subscriber (Mailchimp) - adds the new tags using the tags present in the “current stage” column in Google Sheets.  

Do you think that approach could work? If I've misunderstood what you're looking to do or you run into any issues in setting that up just let us know. Always happy to help further! 🙂

Userlevel 1

It worked! 😀

Thank you.