Question

How do I update a Notion database utem when a project stage changes in Honeybook?

• 10 November 2023
  • 12 replies

I want to update a database item in Notion when the project staged in changed in Honeybook. The zap would happen when the project staged was changed to “planning” and it would zap the honeybook portal link next to that clients name. 

I created the zap, selected the “item” as one of the clients name, and the zap worked no problem. However, when I went to test it again, it had an error.

Is the issue with the “item” field because I chose a clients name currently in the database? I want the database updated with the HB link next to that specific clients name. To ensure that specific database item/client is updated, what should the “item” field reflect? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @king1126 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to help us have more context.

The item is where I’m having trouble. I want the database to be updated once a project is moved to planning and have the HB portal link sent next to that specific clients name in the database. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@king1126 

The Item field expects a Notion Item ID.

In the dropdown is a list of options.

Each option has 2 values. (top/bottom)

If you are mapping a dynamic variable from a previous step, then the variable value must match to a bottom value for an option.

You may need to add a Zap step to first Find the Notion Item in order to get the Notion Item ID.

FYI: How to take screenshots on a computer: https://www.google.com/search?q=how%20to%20take%20screenshots

How do I find the Notion item? I want it to find the clients name in the database and add the HB portal link next to that specific client (this will be used for many different clients) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@king1126 

Did you try this?

You may need to add a Zap step to first Find the Notion Item in order to get the Notion Item ID.

I did that by typing in the name of a client currently in the database and it worked. In the item section it showed the number id, but then when looking at the step details after publishing the zap, it shows the clients name I used to test it. Under “find database item” and under “name” should I have something else in there?

This is what it shows after finding the database item so that’s good. But my next image shows in the step details the clients name. I want to make sure it doesn’t only update a database item if it contains that specific name 

This is what shows in step details next to item after publishing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@king1126 

Try adding a Filter step: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

How to take screenshots on a computer: https://www.google.com/search?q=how%20to%20take%20screenshots

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@king1126 

Can you show an updated screenshot with all your Zap steps outlined?

A filter step in between after “finding a database” and before “updating a database”? If so, what do you recommend I add in the filter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@king1126 

Can you show an updated screenshot with all your Zap steps outlined as is currently?