Question

How do I trigger to an updated cell in Google Sheets?

• 18 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a Google form I made payable with the Payable App. When a payment is confirmed it changes a sell in the "Payment ID" from "pending" (or empty) into "paid". When that happens I want it to trigger Gmail to send out an e-mail.

I know how to set up action/triggers on new rows, but I haven't been able to make it happen with an updated cell. So it only needs to trigger if a cell is turned into "paid" and then use all the info within that row for the e-mail. Even if new rows are being added.

Also; I want the e-mail that is being sent out to be addressed to multiple e-mail adresses that I have gathered through another form. And besides the info from the first mentioned Google Payable form, I also want to include info from the other form (mail adress to send it to, and name so I can personally address these people).

Is this all possible or do I need to set up two Zaps for this? Or is something closely possible?

Thanks!

Bjorn 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Bjorn 

Good question.

Zap triggers unexpectedly/rows trigger too soon

“New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” trigger behavior

If you’re using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger and choose Any column to monitor, any change to a row will trigger your Zap.
If you select a specific column, then the Zap will only trigger when there are changes on that column.

miscEye icon Note

Zaps using New or Updated Spreadsheet Row will also trigger for any new rows in the spreadsheet, even if the specified column is blank.
To avoid triggering in those cases, add a Filter step to your Zap.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone ; I had added a filter, but it didn't seem to catch the updated cell, when the cell changed into "paid" it didn't trigger when I tested it. Does this also only catch (and use) the targeted cell row? So if new rows are added, or even get a "paid" status before the previous one? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bjorn 

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to have more context.