Best answer

How do I trigger one of my zaps directly in Amazon Alexa routine?

• 16 May 2023
  • 5 replies

i wish to trigger without saying a phase. I tried the action like “ask Zapier to grigger a Zap”, but then it expects the trigger phase. How do i automate it totally without saying anything?
actually i just want to send a discord message when some event happens.

thank you

icon

Best answer by SamB 17 May 2023, 15:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @kop, welcome to the Community!

Could I ask what event you want to happen that will send the message in Discord? If you want to use Alexa, you will need some kind of trigger phrase. All Alexa Skills (like the Zapier integration) start with a launch phrase of some kind, you can learn more about that in this short video from Amazon:

I can see that Amazon have instructions on how to build an Alexa Skill, depending on what you’re trying to do, that may work for you. 

If you can share some more information about what you would like to

a) trigger the message to be sent to discord; and

b) what the message is

We might be able to help you find a way to make that happen with a Zap 😀

Hello Danvers,

thanks for your info, I have setup a motion sensor to trigger zapier to send a webhook to my discord channel (for my postal mailbox in lobby), it was ok but need to use the phrase to kick it off. I am wondering if there is any ways to streamline the full workflow.

thanks again

regards,

kop

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @kop! 👋

What actions Alexa is carrying out? You mentioned that you’ve already set up a Zap that triggers from a motion sensor and sends a webhook to Discord. Is it that the motion sensor is linked to Alexa but will only trigger the Zap if you speak the phrase? Or am I misunderstanding that?

There isn’t a way to start an Alexa routine without speaking the phrase but we’ve got a feature request to have an action added to the Amazon Alexa app that would allow you to have a different event trigger the Zap and then start an Alexa routine. So I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that.

I can’t make any promises as to when that action would become available to use but we’ll be sure to send you an email notification as soon as it is! 🙂

@SamB thanks. it is correct. Alexa app can start a routine for my motion sensor, but the subsequent action is to trigger a zap, it was ok but need me to speak a phrase which doesn’t really useful to my use case. Please tell me when this feature is realized. I am using a work-around for the time being. thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @kop,

I understand your situation, and it’s great to hear that you’ve found a workaround for now. As for the feature you’re asking about, I’m afraid I don’t have a specific timeline for when it will be available. However, rest assured we will let you know via email or on this thread if there’s any update about the feature request.

Thank you for understanding.