Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I trigger a Zap when a user selects a value from a dropdown field in Zapier Tables?

• 8 October 2023
  • 3 replies

In Tables, there’s a field/column called ‘Authors’. It includes a dropdown field with author names. 

I want it so that when an author chooses their name from the dropdown, it triggers a zap workflow. 

I know this is doable with Google Sheets, and it’s pretty much the same functionality as the ‘delayed’ dropdown in this Zapier video (at 2 mins mark): https://learn.zapier.com/filters-and-paths-by-zapier/1442974 .

But while Google Sheets has a field in the trigger action setup allowing you to look for changes in a particular column, I can’t seem to find any such option in Tables. The Tables trigger appears to go off whenever any of the fields or columns are updated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @J_M 

Good question.

One option is to use Airtable instead of Zapier Tables.

You can use this Zap trigger: Zapier Tables - Updated Record

The trigger returns the NEW/OLD values for the record that you can use to Filter.

You can add a Filter as Step 2 in the Zap.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the prompt reply and tips. A filter in step 2 for author name might be the best way forward. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @J_M! Big thanks to Troy for pointing you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊