Question

How do I trigger a zap as soon as customer cancels subscription and not at end of billing period

• 20 May 2023
  • 1 reply

I have a membership hub in Searchie with monthly and annual membership plans.

I collect payment via Stripe and manage emails via Klaviyo.

When members cancel their subscriptions in Stripe, they keep access to my membership till the end of their billing cycle.

I’ve set up a Zap using the ‘cancelled subscription’ trigger to email them when they cancel, however as the subscription is not officially cancelled in Stripe till the end of their billing period the Zap doesn’t trigger till the billing period ends.

I would like the Zap to trigger on the day they cancel and not at the end of the billing period so they receive an email the day they cancel and before they lose access, not days/weeks later when the billing period ends.

Is there a way to do this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Silkenz, welcome to the Community!

Hmm, if the cancelled Subscription trigger doesn’t run until the billing period ends, then I wonder if the Updated Subscription (Stripe) trigger might be a better one to use for seeing when a subscription is changed to cancelled?

You’d likely need to follow it up with a Filter by Zapier action to see if it’s a cancelled subscription though. Under the Cancellation Details there should be a Reason field that would be filled out with a value like “cancellation_requested” when someone cancels the subscription. So I’m thinking that you could potentially get the filter to check whether a value that Reason field (Text) Contains the value of cancellation_requested, which would indicate that it’s a cancelled subscription. Do you think that approach could work here?

That said, adding a filter to a Zap would make it a Multi-Step Zap which would require a paid Zapier plan, so it may not be a great solution here if you’re on our Free plan. But if you’re interested in giving filters a try you can find out more about how to use them here: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

Alternatively, if you’re able to get Stripe or Searchie to send you an email notification when someone cancels their subscription then perhaps you could trigger from those email notifications instead using an email parsing app like Email Parser by Zapier? You can find out more about how to user Email Parser as the trigger here: Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails

Hope that helps. Please do keep us updated on how you get on with this! 🙂