Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I toggle a Zap step off/on?

• 11 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Say I duplicated a complex Zap, and want to create a streamlined, simple version.

Instead of deleting intermediary steps, I want to TOGGLE them off.

Meaning they are momentarily bypassed/disabled until I toggle those steps back on.

How do I do this?

In other apps, I’m used to seeing a simple switch that grays out the thing, but I’m not seeing it in Zapier.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TORLEY 

There is no option to enable/disable a Zap step.

Often the output from 1 Zap step is used in a following Zap step, meaning there are data dependencies across Zap steps, so there could be cascading impacts if a Zap step was disabled.

You can either duplicate the Zap and delete the Zap steps.

Or another approach would be to use Paths, where you move Zap steps you want to disable into a Path that never runs based on the Path Filter step conditions.

Paths require a Zapier Pro+ plan.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Thanks for the insight, I had thought about data dependencies, but in some other environments, I’m used to it warning me if there’s such a thing, so I can make changes. 

For now I’m duplicating and deleting.

Appreciate your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TORLEY 

FYI…the Zap editor will warn you if you move Zap steps and that breaks variable depedencies across Zap steps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Troy Tessalone I did notice that, thanks for calling it out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @TORLEY,

Thank you so much for this valuable feedback, this is how we build and grow Zapier! I've submitted it to our internal database, which our product teams use when looking to make improvements and changes to Zapier. 

Hopefully, this helps!