Question

How do I sync Google Sheets and Google Calendar to remove calendared events when rows are deleted?

I have a simple automation to create a detailed google calendar event when I update or add to a row in google sheets. I am trying to essentially sync things so when I remove a row in sheets ( for a canceled event ) my calendar event in google cal also is removed. I’ve also run into only new calendar events being created when updated an original and not replacing an existing event. Any guidance much appreciated. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Willventures 

Try these...

CREATE

You should also add a column to track the GCal Event ID when the GCal Event is originally created.

Steps

1. Trigger: GSheets - New/Updated Row
  2. Action: Filter
  3. Action: GCal - Create Detailed Event
  4. Action: GSheets - Update Row
    1. Map the Row/ID from Step 1
    2. Map the GCal Event ID from Step 3

UPDATE

Steps

1. Make sure GCal Event ID exists and is NOT a delete (see more info below)
  3. Action: GCal - Update Event

DELETE

There is no GSheet Zap app trigger for deleted row.

Try these Zap steps:

1. Add a column to indicate you want to delete the row (e.g. Delete = NO/YES)
  3. Action: GCal - Delete Event
  4. Action: GSheets - Delete Row

Thanks for the reply. Sorry pretty new to Zapier, so would these 3 (Create, Update, Delete) each be individual Zaps, all running to achieve the behavior? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Willventures 

Yes, 3 separate Zaps.

Can you specify in the steps when you say “Action: Filter” what you mean exactly. When I add I filter I need to choose a criteria for that filter correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Willventures 

Help with Filter: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Help for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

You’ll want to configure the Filter conditions to make sure the following Zap action step required field values are populated and that the Zaps will only run for the desired conditions.

e.g. For Updates, you’ll want to make sure the column for DELETE is NO (or empty) [depends on how you have your GSheet configured].

When in doubt, test it out.

1. Make sure GCal Event ID exists and is NOT a delete (see more info below)

Got it, so when you have as the second step in the Create zap an Action: Filter what would need to be filtered there?

Also if I create a column for GCal Event ID. How do I get that ID populated into my sheet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Willventures 

Also if I create a column for GCal Event ID. How do I get that ID populated into my sheet?

See step 4.

CREATE

Steps

3. Action: GCal - Create Detailed Event
  4. Action: GSheets - Update Row
    1. Map the Row/ID from step 1
    2. Map the GCal Event ID from step 3
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Willventures 

Got it, so when you have as the second step in the Create zap an Action: Filter what would need to be filtered there?

Depends which Zap are you referring to.

For us to have context we would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in the Zap EDIT mode, along with screenshots with how your GSheet top 3 rows are configured.

Providing additional screengrabs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Willventures 

What field in the GSheet are you using to indicate you want to DELETE a row?