Question

How do I sync changes in custom fields between two tasks with identical names in lists?

• 17 January 2024
  • 1 reply

I have two lists that have identical task names.   
I have a custom field that is identical in each list.  

When I change the custom field in List A, I want List B’s identical task name to automatically change the custom field to what I set it to in List A. 

How do I do that?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello there @peggersbomb. Thanks for joining the Community here! 😁

Hmm, looks like there isn’t an option to search for a task by name which would be super helpful for this. So I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to an existing feature request to have a “Find Task by Name” search action added to the ClickUp app - hope you don’t mind! I can’t make any promises around when it would be added by we’ll drop you an email as soon as it is. 

In the meantime, the only way around this that I can think of is by searching for the task based on a value in a custom field. Are you using a Zap to create the duplicate tasks on list b then they are added to List A? If so, perhaps you could use that Zap to fill out an additional field with a custom value that would appear on only those two tasks. Perhaps the ID of the original task on List A? Then the second Zap could search for a match for that task ID on list B in order to find the corresponding task.

I’m picturing a Zap with the following trigger and actions:

• Trigger: Task Changes (ClickUp) - runs when a change is made to a specific field on a task
  • Action: Only continue if (Filter by Zapier) - set to only continue if the Task List Name field (Text) Exactly matches the name of List A - See: Add conditions to Zaps with filters
  • Action: Find Task by Custom Fields (ClickUp) - looks for the task ID (supplied by the trigger) in a specific custom field - See: Search for existing data in Zaps
  • Action: Update Task (ClickUp) - updates the task found by the previous action.

Do you think that approach could work?

If I've misunderstood what you're looking to do or you run into any issues in setting this up just let us know. Always happy to help further!