Question

How do I sync all the Trello boards to a single Google Sheets?

• 18 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello,

How do I... (1) sync the information from three of my Trello Boards to one Google Sheet, and then (2) update these columns in the sheet, mirroring changes in Trello?

I was able to do this easily with Unito, but I am finding Zapier pathways more confusing. Below is what I want my information to look like in Google Sheets:
Card Title - List containing Card - Board containing Card - Size Label of Card

(1) Sync Trello Boards to Google Sheet

• Transfers: I do not see a way to sync a specific board, and I do not see “card name” or “card title” in the dropdown.
  • Zaps: I only see a way to import information that is “new” or “updated”. I want to transfer my boards as they are currently and then automate changes with Zaps.

(2) Update these columns in the sheet, mirroring changes in Trello

• List: Cards will move from list to list within a Board. The List should update as the cards move.
    • I think this should be easy enough to trigger in Zaps once part 1 is figured out 🙂

Thank you for your help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @rlp 

Good question.

Make sure you don’t create an infinite loop by trying to do 2-way data syncs: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/does-zapier-support-two-way-syncing

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to have more context.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear @rlp,

Regarding the challenges you're facing in syncing information from your Trello Boards to a Google Sheet and updating columns in the sheet to mirror changes in Trello, here are some steps and suggestions to help you navigate through Zapier:

1. Setting Up the Initial Sync from Trello to Google Sheets:

- Choose the Correct Trigger and Action:

- In Zapier, select Trello as the trigger app and choose a trigger event like “New Card” or “Updated Card.” For the action app, select Google Sheets and choose “Create Spreadsheet Row” or “Update Spreadsheet Row” as the action event.

- Specify Trello Boards:

- While setting up the trigger, you should be able to select specific boards from your Trello account. If this option is not available, ensure that Zapier has the necessary permissions to access your Trello boards.

- Mapping Fields Correctly:

- When setting up the action, map the fields from Trello to Google Sheets. Include fields like “Card Title,” “List Name,” “Board Name,” and any custom fields like “Size Label.”

2. Automating Updates in Google Sheets Based on Trello Changes:

- Setting Up a Trigger for Card Movements and Updates:

- Create another Zap with the trigger as “Card Moved to List” or “Updated Card” in Trello, which can help in capturing the movement of cards between lists.

- Updating Rows in Google Sheets:

- In the action step, choose the “Update Spreadsheet Row” in Google Sheets. You’ll need a unique identifier for each row (like Card ID) to ensure the correct row is updated when a card is moved or changed in Trello.

3. Additional Tips:

- Testing and Fine-tuning:

- After setting up each Zap, use the test feature in Zapier to ensure that the data flows correctly from Trello to Google Sheets.

- Monitor and Adjust:

- Keep an eye on the first few syncs to ensure that the data is being transferred and updated correctly. Adjust the Zaps if necessary.

Did these solutions help in setting up your workflow? If you need more detailed assistance or have other queries, feel free to reach out for further support.

Best Regards,

Dillon Breytenbach

DashSquared Team

@DashSquared Dillon and @Troy Tessalone ,

Thanks for your reply. When I choose “New Card”, it is not possible to transfer the list name and board name associated with the card. These are not options in the drop-down (as they are with “New Activity”). Do you know a workaround for this? 

If I choose “New Activity”, then I am able to select the board name and list name. But, then I cannot transfer all my data from Trello to Sheets. I can only transfer new data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@rlp 

Appears the Board ID and List ID are returned.

Means you may have to use a lookup table to get the Board Name and List Name values.

For the List Name, you may be able to use this Zap action.