Question

How do I stop Zapier from zipping up images sent to Google Drive?

• 28 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is there a way to stop Zapier zipping up images sent to Google Drive?

I am trying to automate a process of sending inspection photos to our clients. 

Photos uploaded to Airtable, sent to Google Drive then trying to output the Google Drive file link to Gmail however Zapier zips up the files sent to Google Drive which makes it clunky on the receiving end of the email.

Is there maybe a free alternative to Google Drive for the image hosting to be able to send a link to the client to view the images?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Buttonjer 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to help us have more context.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Buttonjer 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to help us have more context.

At the moment it looks like this because I was trying to unzip it after the fact:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Buttonjer 

We would need to see how each of the relevant Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Buttonjer

We would need to see how each of the relevant Zap steps are configured.

But the zipping is not part of any of the steps, it’s just what Zapier does to send files to Google Drive? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Buttonjer 

You can use the Looping app to handle 1+ files: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/help

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Buttonjer

You can use the Looping app to handle 1+ files: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/help

I looked at Looping for the image compression, wanted to send the images off to a line itemizer, run them through the looper into an image compressor however I wasn’t sure how to get them back into one link to attach to the outbound Gmail email.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Buttonjer

What I want to do is in essence quite simple, take photos from AirTable and email them to a client.

The two issues I am facing are:

• If I send the images to Google Drive to forward the shareable link to the client, Zapier zips the files in transit from AirTable to GDrive.
  • Trying to send the files without the Gdrive step means they exceed Gmails attachment limit, sending them to say filestack first to compress them only compresses one image
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Buttonjer 

If you send the Airtable Attachment field files as Attachments on the Gmail Email, then that will create a coy of the file that is attached to the email, which avoids the issue with the expiring Airtable Attachment links.

As part of the, why not create a GDrive Folder and share the link to the GDrive folder, then within the GDrive Folder add all the Airtable Attachment files by using the Looping actions.