Question

How do I share Survey Monkey info to Active Campaign checkbox?

• 18 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi folks

Can’t work out how to share multiple checkbox info from Survey Monkey to Active Campaign.

On Zapier I can see this note:

Value(s) must be an exact match to the available field options and in this format: ||option 1|| OR ||option 1||option 2||

Does this mean I enter the below into the text field:

||Leisurely | Relaxing activities with a reasonable level of fitness.|| OR ||Moderate | Active walks and rides with a reasonable level of fitness.|| OR ||Challenging | Very active walks and rides with a high level of fitness.|| OR ||Leisurely | Relaxing activities with a reasonable level of fitness.||Moderate | Active walks and rides with a reasonable level of fitness.|| OR etc etc

Thanks so much.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Wex!

Multi-select checkboxes in any app can be tricky but you’re on the right path!

In this case, if the options someone picked in Survey monkey were Leisure and moderate, you would use the two lines (or ‘pipes’ as they’re known) to separate them eg

||Leisurely | Relaxing activities with a reasonable level of fitness.||Moderate | Active walks and rides with a reasonable level of fitness.||

If someone only selected challenging, you’d put this into the Active Campaign field:

||Challenging | Very active walks and rides with a high level of fitness.||

One thing to look out for is whether that single line in the option will mess with things in the Zap. From the information that I can see, I don’t think you’ll run into trouble, but code often uses special characters like pipes to indicate certain things. If that does happen, you could try switching the line to a hyphen in the survey text ie “Challenging - Very active walks and rides with a high level of fitness.”

I hope that’s all clear, if you run into any trouble it would be really helpful if you could share a screenshot of the Survey monkey data that you get in the Zap and the set up of the ActiveCampaign Zap action. Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc).

Thanks! 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your quick reply Danvers. Ideally I’d like to take a multi checkbox answer from Survey Monkey and fill in multi checkboxes on Active Campaign.

In your answer, it seems like I would have to manually input the response as pipes each time?

This is what I’m seeing on each of the 3 platforms (SM, Zapier, AC). Is there a way to automate the replication of multi checkbox responses from SM to AC via Zapier? If so, is this custom text and what would that look like? THanks so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Wex! 👋

You wouldn’t need to manually input the double pipes. I spotted on the help docs (here: Using multi-select custom fields (e.g., multi-selection list or check boxes)) it looks like the double pipes only need to be added in between the options. For example: Option 1||Option 2

So you could likely use a Formatter (Text > Replace) action to automatically replace whatever currently separates the selected values from SurveyMonkey (I’m guessing it’s a comma?) into double pipes instead. You can find out more about using the Replace transform option here: Find, replace, or split special characters

If you run into any issues on setting that up please send over a screenshot showing how the multiple selected values are sent over from SurveyMonkey so we can see what adjustments might need to be made in order get it working. Please keep us in the loop on how you get on with this!