Question

How do I share content in LinkedIn when there’s a new file in Google Drive/Dropbox?

Hi folks, 

I am brand new to using Zapier. 

Ideally, I would like it if Zapier would be able to share my content automatically or at a scheduled time after I had placed it in a specific Google Drive/Dropbox folder. 

Also, would this work for both pictures and videos?

As of now, I understand it is capable of doing that.

However, (I’m speaking out of ignorance, it may be able to do this. I don’t know) I noticed that you wouldn’t be able to add written description to go along with the Zap to post.

To me, it is a great start and heading in the right direction. I love automation, but if it is not able to include that written description to go along with the content.

What good is it if you have to go back after the Zap is done, edit post by adding the written description to it? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Travis Smith 

Good question.
It will depend on your desired workflows and which apps you are using.
Can you share more specific details and examples for us to have more context?

This is my first day exploring on this app. 

Already, I feel that it could possibly be a major benefit to me. 

I am still ignorant. I tried my first Zap. 

Within my first Zap, The concern I have is when I took a picture from my specified Google Drive folder and shared it to LinkedIn. 

The finished product was a link on the post. I understand that the file came from there and the Zap did its job. 100%. 

However, optically speaking, from the user’s perspective who would be scrolling on my profile. They aren’t going to click on that file. 

They need to be able to see what I am posting/“Zapping” on a daily basis with as little of friction (i.e. work needed on their part) as possible.

They need to be able to see the videos and pictures and they should not have to click on a link to consume what I am sharing. 

Side note, for a very long time, I have been searching for an automated service like this to help me save time. 

If I can learn how this overcome this small hurdle and hurdles like this, I will be a customer today. 100%.

Another thought, could I use another app which would prevent this link dilemma from occurring so that it could be Zapped to LinkedIn or wherever, etc….

At your convenience, could someone reach back to me because I am very keen on getting this rolling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Travis Smith 

For us to have more context, please post detailed full screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

I am thrilled that Zapier did do its job. 

However, from the audience’s standpoint, this is no good. No one wants to make an additional click on a post that may or may not have interest in.

This is a small thing, but important. People don’t want to have “work” additionally or have to think should I click on this or not. 

It’s got to be in their face. 

With that being said, the content within the post was a simple picture of a Diet Coke. So, there doesn’t need to be the light blue bar there which reads accounts.google.com 1 min read

Using Zapier, what else do I need to know about posting in order to produce the desired effect that I want?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Travis Smith 

Try using a different GDrive file link.

The one being used is a VIEW link.

Try using a direct DOWNLOAD link. (try the “Alternate Link” option)

Also, make sure the GDrive file link is publicly accessible, meaning you may have to change the permissions for the GDrive file.

Where would I find the Alternate Link option? Is that found within GDrive or within Zapier?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Travis Smith 

What is your Zap trigger step?

If you are using GDrive as the Zap trigger, then it should be returned as a dynamic variable from the Zap the Zap trigger if you are using GDrive New File in Folder.

I didn’t see anywhere that the “dynamic variable” could be changed. Was this the trigger step you were talking about?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Travis Smith 

Help article about configuration Zap actions: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496257774221

You can map dynamic variables between Zap steps.

​​​​

I have tried every different kind of URL at this point. Yet I still get this kind of result which really doesn’t do my audience or myself any good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Travis Smith! 👋

Ah, yes I can definitely see what you mean about the image preview there, it’s definitely a bit small!

I did some digging into this and found that we’ve got a feature request open for the ability to select the image preview size, which would allow bigger preview images to be posted. So I’ve submitted your vote for that to be added to the LinkedIn app. 

I can’t make any promises but we’ll notify you by email the moment it becomes possible to select the preview image size. Sorry to not have a more immediate solution here. If we come across any workarounds before that feature is implemented we’ll be sure to share them here!