Best answer

How do I setup my Zap so Google Sheets Finds/Updates an event on my Google Calendar?

• 30 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Good Morning all,

I have the most basic Zapier there is so far I need to justify its use and cost to my boss.

I have a google sheets spreadsheet with a bunch of trips on it.  I manually import them into Google Calendar.  I know I can Zap them over easy enough but I need to know that it will make ang changes to the calendar that I make on the spreadsheet.   Like if a time was changed on a trip in the spreadsheet will the event in the calendar change too?  will it create a whole new event and leave the original or will it just change the original to the correct time/place/day whatever it was I was changing?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 30 September 2022, 15:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Enter Sandman!

You can set up a Zap that will either create or update an event in Google Calendar, but you’d need to have two actions which isn’t possible on the free plan.

Here’s what the Zap would look like:

1. Google Sheets - New or Updated Spreadsheet Row 
  2. Google Calendar - Find event
  3. Google Calendar - Update event

The Find event step has an option to create an event if none are found, so that will create a new event when you first enter the information in the Google Sheet. The Update Event step allows you to update an event if an existing event is found. The Find event step will give you an event ID, use that as a Custom Value in the ‘Event’ field in the Update step, and the step will update the event that was just found. 

I can’t think of a way that you could handle updating events without needing a Zap with more than one action, if anyone else in the Community has an idea on how you could do that, let us know!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Enter Sandman!

You can set up a Zap that will either create or update an event in Google Calendar, but you’d need to have two actions which isn’t possible on the free plan.

Here’s what the Zap would look like:

1. Google Sheets - New or Updated Spreadsheet Row 
  2. Google Calendar - Find event
  3. Google Calendar - Update event

The Find event step has an option to create an event if none are found, so that will create a new event when you first enter the information in the Google Sheet. The Update Event step allows you to update an event if an existing event is found. The Find event step will give you an event ID, use that as a Custom Value in the ‘Event’ field in the Update step, and the step will update the event that was just found. 

I can’t think of a way that you could handle updating events without needing a Zap with more than one action, if anyone else in the Community has an idea on how you could do that, let us know!

OK this is good, this is the kind of thing I need to justify getting the better plan.  I know there is ALOT i can do with this if I had the opportunity to use it correctly.  Thank you for your input

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there @Enter Sandman , were you able to get this sorted out with the answer that Danvers provided?

Let us know if there was anything else we can assist with should you have any more issues!

Userlevel 1

We will see! lol  I am in the process of advocating for the paid version of this but there is red tape and loop holes for me to jump through   once I get it I will be figuring out HOW to do it

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@Enter Sandman Let us know how it pans out and if there is any way we can help. We’re here for it. :)

As someone who is often in the same place with purchasing other applications, really honing in on how much time and money this will save is the key. But yes, red tape is tough. Good luck!!!