Best answer

How do I set up a Zap to sync data from a Trello Board to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet?

• 16 August 2023
  • 11 replies

Hello, I am afraid I’m stuck at pretty much square one and need help. Noob help.

I want to sync information from a board in Trello to en Excel spreadsheet.

When I go trough the different stages of my zap setup, I just get totally confused and it all breaks down. I have no Idea what the different choices I make will do.

So before I waste more time on this, can someone give me a rough outline of how to set up a Trello-Excel zap? Is there a  template somewhere?

My Trello board is pretty basic and my Excel sheet is blank. Maybe that’s the problem? I was hoping Zapier could generate the content. 

I realize it’s not easy to help when I can’t even identify the problem, but still..

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 16 August 2023, 23:08

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Steffen Fjærvik 

Good question.

We would need more info about what you are trying to configure the Zap to do between Trello and Excel.

Perhaps outline specific examples for us to follow the data flow.

If you need help, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts/automation-ace

Well, lets’ see. Thanks for reaching out.

I have this Trello board and i need Zapier to update a specific spreadsheet every time something changes. Could be status, could be could be title, could be a number ot things.Most urgently I want the Status to change in my sheet according to a change in Trello. My very simple Trello board looks like this:

But my spreadsheet won’t change the status, it just return “Status”, which is no good, of course:

I’m guessing it has to to with the action in Zapier, but here is where I break down in tears:

And also, I cant keep adding titles for eery card i make in Trello. I need Zapier to understand that the name on the card corresponds with a row in the spreadsheet.

Any help is appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steffen Fjærvik 

Looks like you are using the Custom Field Name variable.

Try using the Custom Field Value variable.

NOTE: If there are multiple custom fields, then those may be grouped as an array, for which you’d have to do additional logic to align/separate into key:value pairs.

Thanks, but all i can find from the dropdown menu is Data Custom Field Item Value, and that gices me nothing

I only get this error message:

My Excel sheet is now blank, btw

I deleted the previous rows to start over again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steffen Fjærvik 

Make sure to use a trigger example that has a value for the desired custom field data point.

How to change your trigger test data: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

I am sorry, i just don’t understand what this means :-)
“has a value for the desired custom field data point”?
I understand all the words, but not he meaning of the sentence.  I’m sorry :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steffen Fjærvik 

This means the Trello Card example selected in the Zap trigger step has no Status value set.

Try selecting a different trigger example from Trello to use to test the Zap steps.

I’m sorry but i really don’t know hat I’m looking for.
Status har 12 mentions, but i dont know what to to do with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steffen Fjærvik 

Which Trello Zap trigger are you using? (screenshot)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steffen Fjærvik 

You’ll want to specify the Activity type as it include a long list of options, some of which aren’t relevant to Cards.

Instead, you may want to use this Zap action: Trello - Card Updated