Skip to main content
Question

How do I set up a Zap to automatically send a payment receipt from Xero when an invoice is marked as paid?

Hello,

We recently implemented direct debit and automatic payments for our customers using XERO and GoCardless.

We were under the impression that clients would be receiving a “receipt” or acknowledgement of payment, but unfortunately this is not the case, it looks like Stripe DOES send one, but GoCardless doesnt.

I’m now wanting to sent a payment receipt when an invoice is paid, via XERO. I believe this is just a matter of sending the invoice again once it has been marked as paid, and the client will receive it as a “paid” invoice/receipt.

I’m having a little trouble figuring this out and am a bit of a Zapier newbie - I’ve setup a ZAP with “New Payment in XERO” as the trigger, and “Send sales invoice by email in xero” as the action. It asks me to select the Organisaton, which is pretty straight forward, but it then asks me to select the “invoice ID”, this is where I get a little confused, as I need the trigger to select the invoice that has been paid… ie- all of them, when they are marked as paid, selecting an individual invoice ID here isnt possible.

Hoping to get some advice on how to achieve this. Thanks in advance, and hopefully this is enough information to get started, hopefully someone has worked with this before.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Further to this,

I ended up selecting an invoice ID from the selector, I am assuming that this is just a variable, and that it is not going to email THIS invoice every time? (I’m sure this is a stupid question, but need to confirm).

… Just to answer my own question. This DOES work, however, just wondering if anyone knows how to change the email template for these “paid” receipts. Thanks again in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Nathan Practiceedge, welcome to the Community! 🎉

It’s not a stupid question at all! You’re correct, selecting the Invoice Invoice ID field from the trigger will ensure that only the invoice that relates to the payment that triggered the Zap will be emailed. The value you see for the selected field is just a preview of the type of information that selected field will contain. It won’t select the exact same invoice every time

This DOES work, however, just wondering if anyone knows how to change the email template for these “paid” receipts.

It’s not currently possible to customise or select a different email template with that Send Sales Invoice by Email action. I couldn’t see any existing feature requests for the ability to do that so I’d suggest reaching out to our Support team to submit a new feature request for the Xero app. You can do that here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 

I did some further checking and Xero does have an API Request (Beta) action which you might have been able to use to get around this, however looking at their API it doesn’t appear that it’s possible to use anything other than the default email template when emailing an invoice: 
bc7ffbf35edee52d02812b849728dea3.png

So the only way to change the email that is sent would be to edit the default template directly in Xero: https://central.xero.com/s/article/Change-edit-or-delete-email-templates

Sorry to not have better news on that but hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues or have further questions do let me know!