Question

How do I set up a Gmail forwarding to another email?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi guys,

I’m trying to set up a flow that will automatically email from my gmail inbox to another email.

For example, whenever I receive an email that has the keyword [New Request] in my inbox, I want zapier to forward that to a new address. How can I do that?

Thanks in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @greysonz1997 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Gmail - New Email Matching Search
  2. Action Gmail - Send Email
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy, thanks for jumping in. That’s how i have it set up, but for some reason it’s still not working. I tried to test it by “run zap”, it is still not working. Any idea why? Please see below for the screeshot

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

Can you show a screenshot of an actual Gmail email that you are trying to match?

OBSERVATION

In step 2, you may want to add a space before the mapped variable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

Some more context: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is the actual email

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

Try setting this as a trigger step search string:

subject:[I need oil change] in:inbox

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just updated the trigger step as you mentioned above. Did you want me to copy exactly what you wrote there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

Did you test the new Zap trigger config?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, when i tested, this is the email i got. But it’s no forwarding anything 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

How is the Body of your Zap step 2 configured?

This looks like the email sent from Zap step 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

You may also not need a Zap for this if you use Gmail Forwarding Rules: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is how the body is set up in step 2. I want to you zapier because I want to add a step so that the chat gpt will write out certain things in the forward email for me.

I’m also confused because why the step 2 is working when I try to run the zap test, but its not picking up the original email when I send to the inbox?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

There is no Zap action to “forward” an email.

You can either:

• Send Email
  • Reply to Email

In step 2, the Body is configured with a static message.

You would need to map variables from Zap Step 1 to send in the Body. (e.g. Body Plain or Body HTML)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

The Gmail trigger is NOT instant, meaning when the Zap is ON it can take from 1-15 minutes to trigger depending on your Zapier plan.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do you mind showing me with how to  map variables from Zap Step 1 to send in the Body. (e.g. Body Plain or Body HTML)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

Same concept as with how you have the dynamic variable for “Subject” configured in Step 2.