Best answer

How do I send videos via Teams with preview when a new row is added in Google Sheets?

• 10 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’m trying to create an automation which sends videos via Teams based on adding a row in Google Sheets trigger. 

The video can either be a URL or an actual file, but the recipient of the message needs to be able to view the video in the Teams chat itself, rather than navigate to a separate window. 

When trying the URL method (e.g. a YouTube link), the URL is only displayed in the Teams chat, there is no preview or ability to watch the URL in the Teams chat. If I send the same URL directly through Teams (i.e. not through Zapier), the video has a preview and the user is able to watch the video in the chat. Is there a way to get this same functionality but when sending the messages via Zapier? 

I have the same automation set up for Slack and it works fine. 

Alternatively is there a way to send a video file directly via Teams for it to be viewed through the chat (e.g. if the file is saved on Google Drive)?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Anwar

icon

Best answer by ken.a 12 April 2023, 17:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Waario 👋 -

I did some digging on this, and from my understanding, if using a URL link in your Zap, it will only show as a hyperlink in Teams, forcing the recipient to open in another window. This is because Teams does not support embedded previews for links. I’m included this link here, as you are able to vote on using this as a feature request in Microsoft for the future.

A workaround for this would be including a hosting service that is compatible with Teams (Microsoft OneDrive or SharePoint). You can then include a link to the hosted video file in the message sent via Zapier. When the recipient clicks on the link, the video will be previewed in the Teams chat itself.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

Hi @chanelle,

Many thanks for the quick reply and info. 

Sorry I should have mentioned that I’ve tried uploading the video to One Drive, creating a shareable link and sending that link via Zapier but I have the same issue (i.e. just the URL is in the message, it’s also not even hyperlinked to the user would need to copy and paste the URL to view the video). 

If you have any further advice that would be greatly appreciated and I’ve also voted for this as a feature. 

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @Waario,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I did some digging here, and it seems like HTML/Markdown (clickable links) format isn’t supported when using the “Send Chat” action with Microsoft Teams. We do have an open feature request for this. Please let us know if you want to get added to the feature request.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi @ken.a 

Thanks for the quick reply. It would be great if we could add that as a feature request. I assume it’s difficult to say, but do you know if it’s likely to get added and if so, roughly when that might be? 

In the meantime, do you know if there is a workaround, e.g. is it possible to send the actual video files in Teams via Zapier? 

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Waario,

We appreciate your interest in this feature and we understand how it can be helpful for you. 

I have put in a feature request for this on your behalf. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

However, at this time, we don't have an estimated time of release for this feature, nor do we have any available workarounds.

I wish I have something better to show you. Let me know how I can assist you further. Always happy to lend a hand. 🤗

Userlevel 1

Hi @ken.a, that’s great, thanks for the update :)