Skip to main content
Question

How do I send Salesforce Chatter messages in opportunities & leads to Slack when a specific channel is mentioned?

• 12 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hey!

We’re looking to scrape Product insights from chatter through sending chatter messages under opportunities & leads into a dedicated Slack channel. In an ideal world, this would be only done when a particular channel is mentioned, that wouldn’t correspond to a SF user. 

I can’t find a corresponding Salesforce object that matches a chatter entry.

Has anyone done this before? Thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JPC123 

Check the Chatter Zap app: https://zapier.com/apps/chatter/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @JPC123,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. Did Troy's recommendation get the job done? Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance with your Zap. We're glad to address any concerns and assist you.

We're looking forward to your response.

Hey both - thanks for responses!

I’m still struggling here - I’ve tried unsuccessfully to set up a zap that can connect Chatter entries within opportunities to Slack in the way that I need. Looking to use Zapier beyond notifications and post particular chatter entries into slack channels as written.

Please can I have some extra guidance on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @JPC123,

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please share a screenshot of the “Action” section of the action step that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Hi,

I’ve tried uploading screenshots for this, but can’t upload PNG or JPEGs, getting an error message. Have refreshed and tried a few times.

My zap works functionally, but doesn’t post what we’re aiming for. Currently, I’m using the output ‘Body text: created an event”.

In the ‘Message text’ field (“Step details” section) for the Slack post (2nd step of the Zap), I can’t find an option that allows me to post the body of the chatter message into Slack. E.g. I write a chatter message within an opportunity stating “Business strategy aligns to X. Tech stack is Y. Z process critical to integrate with for sale @-Product”. This message is then sent verbatim into a slack channel. 

Is this possible? If so, what ‘Message text’ field should I be using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @JPC123! 👋

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble uploading images here. I’m not sure what’s causing that, perhaps it’s a browser related issue? In which case it might be worth trying to share the screenshots by replying here from a different web browser? 

That said, are you using Chatter’s New Post about Topic trigger?

If so, I’d have thought that the Body Text field you’ve selected from the trigger should give you the contents of the message added to the opportunity. What value are you seeing in the Body Text field that’s been selected? Does it just say “created an event”? 

If so, it might be that the test record that’s been pulled in is for a message that had the text “created an event”. Can you try changing the test record in the Zap’s trigger to see if that then changes the text that’s appearing in that Body Text field? 

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!