Best answer

How do I send events to Google Analytics 4 from LinkedIn Ads?

• 11 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Our team has been running Native LinkedIn Form conversion Ads and we've recently transitioned from Universal Analytics (UA) to Google Analytics 4 (GA4). While we were using UA, we had set up Zapier to trigger the UA conversion goal whenever a lead was converted. This worked perfectly for us.

However, since we've migrated to GA4, we've been unable to find a way to fire the GA4 conversion event in a similar manner. We've searched extensively for a solution, but so far, we've come up empty-handed.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. We're particularly interested in any Zapier integrations or workarounds that might help us trigger the GA4 conversion event when a lead is converted via our LinkedIn Form Ads.

icon

Best answer by SamB 1 November 2023, 14:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @lbc-hypelocal,

The "Create Conversion Event for a Property in Google Analytics 4" action seems to be the most relevant to your needs. You can use this action to create a conversion event in GA4 whenever a lead is converted via your LinkedIn Form Ads.

You can setup the Zap like this:

1. Trigger: LinkedIn Ads - New Lead Gen Form Response
  2. Action: Google Analytics 4 - Create Conversion Event for a Property

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

@ken.a thanks for your response. 

However, I’m not sure this will work as we are not looking to Create a New Conversion Event (that’s what it appears this native action does)

We already have the Conversion Event existing in GA4.  We want to add another event to this existing Conversion when a new LinkedIn form is completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @lbc-hypelocal! 👋

I did some checking on this end and it seems like what you’d need here is a “Send Event” action that would allow you to add an event to an existing conversion event. Unfortunately that action doesn’t exist yet, but we do have a feature request open for it. So I went ahead an added your vote for that to be added. I’m unable to make any promises around when that action would be added to the Google Analytics 4 app but we’ll be sure to notify you as soon as it is!

In the meantime, some folks have been able to use a Webhooks by Zapier action to send information to Google Analytics instead. It’s a bit more advanced so may not be a great solution if you’re not comfortable working with webhooks, but thought I’d suggest it in case you wanted to explore that option.

I can’t give you the exact set up for it but it looks like you’d want to reference the the Sending events section of Google’s API documentation when setting up the webhook. And I’d recommend giving our Send webhooks in Zaps a read through to learn more.

Hope that helps. If you do manage to get it working using Webhooks by Zapier or you find an alternative workaround please let us know!

Userlevel 1

@SamB 

Got it. Thanks for your response.  This is what we have been working on but have not been able to get it working within Zapier yet. Will let you know if we do. 

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @lbc-hypelocal,

Awesome! I’m glad Sam was able to clear everything up.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hey all.

I got this working successfully with a Zapier webhook, happy to share the zap with anyone who needs some guidance.

xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.ca

Cheers,

Mark 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for remind me about this thread @mark.eaton.

We also figured this out but forgot to update.

Here’s how we did it below:

Step 1. Setup your trigger event

Step 2. Create a timestamp with Code by Zapier

Screenshot of Create Timestamp Action

# get timestamp in microseconds for GA4 to be able to show it in real-time metrics import time output = {"timestamp": str(int(time.time() * 1000000))}

Step 3. Send POST Webhook to GA4

https://www.google-analytics.com/mp/collect?measurement_id={GA4ID}&api_secret={API-SECRET-KEY}
{
"client_id": "{{CLIENT_ID}}",
"timestamp_micros": "{{TIMESTAMP}}",
"non_personalized_ads": false,
"events": {
"name": "{NAME_OF_CONVERSION_EVENT}"
}
}

*Note: The CLIENT_ID can be a random number.  In our example, we are using a Salesforce ID.

Example: 

It works and sends a unique Conversion event to GA4.

Took a while to find as there is limited documentation.

Feel free to ask questions here or connect with me via our zapier experts profile if you need help setting this up.

Thanks!

Aaron

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey friends! 👋

Glad to hear you were able to get a solution in place using webhooks, @mark.eaton! 😁🎉

And @lbc-hypelocal, thank you so much for following up here to share such a detailed outline of how you solved this! It’s much appreciated and I’m sure there will be lots of folks in Community who will greatly benefit from the solution you shared here. Thanks again! 🤗 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks! 

Just popping by with a quick update to share that the feature request has been implemented. A Send Measurement Events for an Application action has been added to the latest version of the Google Analytics 4 app:

68f08281b40d17d87f5d86374edb02ff.png

This new action should allow you to send events over to the Google Analytics app without the need for a webhook action. If you’ve already got a webhook workaround set up for this and are happy with how it’s running then you’re fine to leave it as is. Otherwise, please do give this new action a try! 🙂 

Happy Zapping! ⚡