Question

How do I send a formatted table from a spreadsheet using Gmail daily?

• 15 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I need a workflow to pull a table from a spreadsheet once a day, and send it through an email. For reference, here’s what the table looks like:

And here’s what I need the email to look like:

Essentially, I know that it would have something to do with the use of custom HTML in the “Body” section of the “Send Email” action using gmail. Is it even possible to carry over all of this formatting, let alone feasible? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ryan Tripi 

Good question.

Why not just send the link to the GSheet in the email?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Ryan Tripi 

Good question.

Why not just send the link to the GSheet in the email?

The source data changes daily, so this email is meant to be a sort of snap shot of each day. On the actual spreadsheet, the value in cell A1 actually determines the date of all of the data on the sheet, so that would be the way would prefer to handle it, but the bosses would prefer to just get an email each day. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ryan Tripi 

Might be more pragmatic to try to get the PDF version of the GSheet:

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone  Hmm, that sort of broke the formatting, take a look: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ryan Tripi 

The GSheet isn’t formatted in a way that can be used by the Zap, which needs the GSheet to be in a flat file format with row 1 as headers (no grouped rows/columns).

You can try exploring the GSheet API using the Zap action for GSheets API Request.

But that will only return raw data.

You’d then have to add a bunch of logic to convert that to HTML to be used in the email body.

I think it’s going to be a challenge to do this.

You can try some GSearches on the topic of generating an image from a GSheet.

You can explore using the File > Share > Publish to Web options.

You may need to use another app that can access a public URL and take a screenshot.