Best answer

How do I retrieve a subscription name from Stripe to send personalized automation emails in Mailchimp?

• 6 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi guys. How can I retrieve the name of a subscription from Stripe so it appears in the merge tags in Mailchimp so that I can email people with the name of the plan they are currently subscribed to? As I have multiple plans. I can’t find the subscription name data to map, can only see product id, sub id which are all codes of some sort. I also tried adding a metadata in Stripe(subscription_name) but that didn’t appear in Zapier for me to map. Please what can I do?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by christina.d 6 June 2023, 03:13

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ClintonAtSD 

Good question.

Try adding this Zap action: Stripe - Find Subscription

Userlevel 1

I tried doing that and the product id still comes out as a code. If sent to MailChimp it would still appear as a code in the merge tags. Maybe I’m missing something. Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @ClintonAtSD - thanks for reaching out in community. 🤗

Hmm, which Stripe trigger are you using? Full transparency, we have a few feature requests around subscriptions so it’s very possible this information isn’t passed through. Happy to double check though!

That said though, do the sub ID’s have any correlation to the subscription names you see in Stripe? The reason I ask is it’s possible we could do a lookup table naming each ID to the subscription name.

More on what that could look like here:

Do you think that could work? Let us know! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d I’m using the “New Subscription” trigger. The subscribers are supposed to get automated emails with their subscription names. The lookup is actually amazing, thank you! I’m currently working on it. I will let you know if I figure it out. Thank you so much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Awesome, keep us posted how that works! Here’s one more resource on lookup tables if it helps.

Regarding the actual name, I’m seeing a bug where metadata isn’t being returned for the “New Subscription” trigger so it’s likely this may be what we’re running into. I added you as an impacted user and we’ll keep the thread updated with any progress on that.

In the meantime, hopefully this is a potential workaround to get you up and running. 🤞🏽

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d I used the lookup table and I can now retrieve the subscription name using the product ID. Ran a test and sent a subscriber to Mailchimp and it works perfectly. 

Thank you so much for all your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @ClintonAtSD,

We’re glad to know everything is now sorted! 🎉

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊