Skip to main content
Question

How do I RETAIN or REMAP values copied between Zaps?

• 18 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Is there any way to retain values of steps copied between Zaps, especially if those steps look identical?

I keep seeing the “Heads up! If you paste this step you’ll have to remove and replace the missing data on this and/or later steps in this Zap.”

I don’t understand why there’d be missing data, because this is a case where I’m using the “Utilities in Formatter by Zapier” > “Line Itemizer (Create/Append/Prepend)” and aside from the initial remapping of Values, when subsequent steps use the same exact “Line Item Properties”, can’t those steps just recognize it as the closest match, and have them connect?

It’s manual tedium otherwise to have to correct each ❗️ missing data error.

Having some of “nearest match” — if it doesn’t exist yet — would make copypasting steps between Zaps even better, like a “remap” or “find and replace”-type thing.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TORLEY 

Each Zap app and Steps in a Zap have unique IDs.

When you copy Zap steps across Zaps those mapped variables are no longer valid because the ID in the mapped variable no longer matches to a step in the new Zap.

This related topic gives more insight:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TORLEY 

Always best to submitted feedback and feature requests via a ticket to Zapier Support to be properly logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Thank you, I continue to also send support tickets when it makes sense, and bring stuff up here because it’s nice to get input (ha) from others like you.

So, I know about the custom IDs part (appreciate the link), but think that the process could be improved to be more useful and powerful, especially automating the find-and-replace part. Connective tissue! 

Meaning, when it shows that “Heads up!” screen it could offer me a chance to do a batch remap — “These values are missing in this Zap, so would you like to assign them to these existing values?”