Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I Pull Tracking Numbers From eBay into Shopify?

• 16 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Hey guys,

I’m currently having trouble even starting this Zap, and so have many Zapier experts I’ve been asking.

Will you be able to solve this?

My store currently sources from Ebay.

We order direct from Ebay to our customers, and we always spend hours going through each Ebay order, finding the tracking number, figuring out which order it is on Shopify, and then pasting the tracking number from Ebay into the specific Shopify order. It takes up WAYYYY too much time.

That’s when I turned to Zapier.

I want to create an automation that will pull tracking numbers directly from Ebay (maybe from line items?), figure out the EXACT Shopify order it’s for, and then update the order as necessary.

The problem is that Ebay actions are only “FIND AN ORDER” or “CREATE A SHIPPING FULFILLMENT” and my Shopify trigger is “New Paid Order”.

New Paid Order → Find Ebay Order

According to some experts, this method doesn’t work since we are pulling the tracking number from Ebay, NOT Shopify.

So instead I decided to use Ebay as the trigger instead. I hoped that once there is a new order in Ebay, Zapier can look through that info and place it into a Shopify order.

Can someone advise me on this?

Thank you

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @UMS Ecommerce! 👋

Ah yes, the current New Order eBay trigger and the Find Order search action don’t have access to the tracking number.

What you’d want here ideally is an “Item/Order Dispatched” trigger as that kind of trigger would be able to provide the tracking number. There’s a feature request open for that type of trigger to be added to the eBay app so I’ve put in your vote for that. We’ll notify you by email and update this page any news as soon as it becomes available. 

In the meantime, it looks like there’s a getShippingFulfillment endpoint with eBay’s API which has a shipmentTrackingNumber field. I wonder if you could potentially add a Webhooks action to your Zap to get the tracking number from the getShippingFulfillment endpoint? I’ve not tested this theory out myself, but if you’re comfortable working with webhooks it might be worth a try. 

If you do give that a go and manage to get it working please let us know!