Question

How do I prevent Zapier to go trough multiple paths / branches?

• 15 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi!

I crated quite a branching logic to move incoming leads into a specific pipeline for the CRM I am using, based on UTM and tracking parameters for each submission.

I found out that Zapier tries to go trough every path, even if one paths already was successful.

I want to prevent exactly that. I recon Zapier starts with the first path and goes on to the next to the right.

Question:

• Is it possible, that when a the first path was successful, to prevent it going onto the next paths?

• For every Path successful the data entry gets a tag. I tried to use this tag for other paths as a filter, but it did not work.

• Is there a better way to do it?

• Additionally, I would like to have one path as a "catch all" for those who did not fit in any other path (but only then)

Thanks!!

Go to this question on Reddit

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ee_international 

Good question.

You have to make sure the Filter conditions for each Path are mutually exclusive so only 1 Path proceeds.

Zapier will try to proceed down each Path.

It’s not possible to define the order in which Paths process, nor stop other paths from proceeding if the Path Filter conditions are also met.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for clearing this up. It would be a great feature to be able to define a order and to have a “stop zap” block.

Making paths mutually exclusive is very complicated in my case.

Is it possible to put some kind of labels to the dataset with conditions, so I can then use those labels to build my path logic in the bottom part of the zap?

This would make the setup way easier to manage and the filter part is not so much bloated with multiple “or” parts and slightly different filters.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What I have done in the past is use a python code block to run the logic I needed then used a pass/fail variable in the output. It made checking conditions a little easier. 

I prefer Python but you could do it in JavaScript. Check the logic for the condition then set a pass or fail tag.

Generally for me this was on line item properties. So if what I needed was there I would mark it would output “condition_name” with a pass value. It helped to stop some zaps failing over and might work well for you as you could set a pass or fail for each path. 

The coding isn’t that difficult and  AI can probably do most of the heavy lifting for you. If you’d like a hand just let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ee_international 

FYI: You can submit feedback and feature requests via a ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help