Best answer

How do I prevent multiple Google Calendar entries when updating Notion "follow-up" date field?

• 12 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a simple notion customer database in with a “follow up” date field. It triggers a google calendar entry.

The problem is that the google event is created everytime I update the customer (for example if I change a contact). So I end up with multiple calendar entries for the same day.

How can I only have it triggered when I change the “follow-up” date field in Notion?

I imagine it has something todo with the zapier-filter item, but I tried alot and cannot figure out the correct setup.

Any help is appraciated

icon

Best answer by ken.a 12 September 2023, 11:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @flori123 

Good question.

To help us have context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap Filter step is configured.

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

and here the result in google calendar: (event is created everytime i update the customer in notion)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@flori123 

Does Notion provide a before and after value in the DATA OUT from Step 1?

If yes, then have you tried adding a Filter as Step 2 to compare the before/after values for the date?

If not, then I’d recommend using Airtable instead of Notion.

This could all be built in Airtable without needing Zaps.

Userlevel 1

The notion trigger only lets you select a “database”, not a specific field inside the database.

For the filter, thats where I’m stuck, not sure to set that one up

Airtable is not an option I’m afraid, as everything is running on Notion currently and not intending to change that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@flori123 

Perhaps try using Notion Automations: https://www.notion.so/help/database-automations

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @flori123,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I did some digging into this, and the "Updated Database in Notion" appears to trigger on all updates. Unfortunately, there isn't an option to specify a particular field to trigger only on that specific field.

We do have an open feature request for the “Updated Database in Notion” to add the ability to select a specific field to check for updates in. I have added you as an interested member to the feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

thank you @ken.a I hope that helps. So there is no workaround with the “Zapier Filter”?

@Troy Tessalone Merci, I will have a look into notion automations

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @flori123,

Adding a filter step could still work, but you might have to tweak your database a little bit by adding a new column to your database. You can maybe add a “Status” column on your database, and setup the filter step to only continue if the “Status” column is set to “Completed/Updated”.

I haven’t tested this out myself, but it’s worth a try! 😊