Question

How do I pre-populate a JotForm Enterprise dropdown menu from values in Airtable without manual input?

• 22 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Is it possible to pre populate a dropdown menu from values in airtable (or anywhere actually) and load it into a JotForm Enterprise form? I used to use On2Air to create a select and subselect dropdown that worked with JotForm but now they are sunsetting that application in November so now I have to find a new way. We have a lot of data so manual building of this list is really not feasible.

Basically it’s a Member dropdown- choose Member- show all addresses for that particular Member. We use JotForm so I need to stay with that platform; JotForm only has a widget for a dynamic dropdown but it’s manual. 

Thanks- I asked about this a month ago, got a response but it wasn’t what I needed and it was closed.

Any help or ideas on how to do this is appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello there, @lflynn72! 🙂

To pre-populate the dropdown menu fields in JotForm from values supplied by Airtable, you’d likely need to use a “Create Form” type of action for JotForm. There isn’t such an action currently but we do have an existing feature request for that type of action to be added. So I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that and added details of your requirement to be able to populate dropdown menu fields on the form that is created. I can’t make any promises around when this feature might be implemented but we’ll be sure to email you as soon as it is.

In the meantime you could look at using a API Request (Beta) action (or build an App Extension if you’d need to use this action in multiple Zaps) to create a form and populate it’s dropdown menu fields with the relevant options. It’s a bit more of an advanced action to set up as it would involve you working with JotForm’s API documentation to set up the action. You can find out more about how to set up this type of advanced action here: Create an API Request in your Zaps. If this is something you’d be interested in exploring it looks like you’d want to take a look at JotForm’s API documentation here: https://api.jotform.com/docs/#post-forms which gives details on how the API request to create a new form should be configured. 

Alternatively, if you can export a list of the options from Airtable as a CSV file (separated by a line break) you could copy and paste that list directly into JotForm. See https://www.jotform.com/answers/506333-can-we-import-dropdown-options-from-a-list-in-csv-or-excel-file for more details. Jotform also appears to have a Spreadsheet to Form Widget widget which might be of some use: How to Use the Spreadsheet to Form Widget.

Hope that helps. If you do manage to get a solution in place with any of the above, or if you find a different solution here please let us know!