Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I move a file between Google Drive folders using Zapier?

• 21 August 2024
  • 8 replies

Hello. I have not found an answer to my issue in topics that I have researched. If there is one, I would greatly appreciate being directed to it.

I am trying to move a file between Google Drive folders. I have it set up in 2 steps:

• Step 1 is the New File in Folder. I select the folder where the file appears …. simple. When I run a test, it pulls up a file from that folder.
  • Step 2 is Move File. I select the Drive and folder where I would like the file to be moved …. simple. The problem I have is that when I go to select a file, the files that I can choose from are from My Drive and not the folder listed in Step 1. I changed the folder name to the folder in Step 1. I selected a file from it and then changed the folder back to the intended destination folder. The test worked but when I ran the zap, it didn’t work.

I don’t know why it is so complicated. It seems like an easy setup but I am sure I am setting it up incorrectly or missing a step.

Hi @gromey 

For the File field in Step 2, map the ID variable from Step 1.

Hello Troy,

Thank you for respoinding.

I do not have the option for mapping the ID - I just have the file titles, titles of which do not come from the folder referenced in Step 1.

@gromey 

Click the ...] more button and change it to Custom.

Then map the ID from Step 1.

Thank you Troy. That seems to have worked!

That’s awesome news @gromey! A huge thanks to Troy for pointing you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗

hi - this is my first post 🙂 I’m getting the same issue - how does this work if its a new file getting loaded into the source folder each time. doesn’t the file ID change?

thanks

hi again - please ignore my last post  - I’ve got it working now  following the instructions properly :)  I’m very green lol. 

That’s great @Martunz! Thanks for looping back for the update.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗