Question

How do I map TidyCal form fields in Zapier to ensure data matches regardless of question order?

• 11 April 2024
  • 1 reply

We are using https://tidycal.com/ as our online booking calendar. The calendar comes with a form of pre-selected questions. However, it seems that TidyCal is handling this data in the order in which questions are answered - rather than each field having its own ID.

This becomes a problem in Zapier when, due to auto-correct and user behaviour, questions are not answered in order. Meaning, that when data is pulled through to Zapier, some of the data does not match up and some of our Zaps are unable to run.

I was wondering if there’s a way I can map these fields in Zapier so the correct field and data is called each time, regardless of which order the information is input.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Etaoin Shrdlu,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied today with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

I'm taking a closer look here and I see what you mean. This is happening because of how the answers are structured when TidyCal sends it to Zapier. There isn't quite an easy way around this. 

The one potential workaround I can think of would be to have a Loop by Zapier step that goes through every single answer given in the form. In each iteration of the loop, you could check what the question is, and depending on that, have multiple Paths to save that data to either a Google Sheets or Tables by Zapier.

In other words, using either a Google Sheet or Table by Zapier, you can configure each column to be associated with a specific answer. When you iterate through each answer in a loop, you can assign the corresponding answer to the corresponding column. You can potentially create a Sub-Zap for this portion so that it's separate from your main Zap.

At the end, you can reference and use all the answers from the respective columns, using the booking_id field to pull the correct answers in either the Google Sheet or Table by Zapier.

This would be a bit of a complex set up and may take some trial and error. However, I believe it would be possible if you're looking to try it. Please don't hesitate to reach out again if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help as best as possible.

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email. If you can’t locate their reply I’d recommend searching your spam/junk folder or searching your inbox for any emails from zapier.com in case. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.

Thanks!