Best answer

How do I make URLs and UTMs appear as links in Google Docs using Zapier?

• 6 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello! 
I am automating a communications process. Happens quarterly and takes sooooo much time. 

Zap 1 captures form details from clients into google sheets. I populate some info using some vlookups like their website urls, products they have with us and UTM links. 

Zap 2 creates a google doc from a template based on the data in the sheets row. 

We have 4 different url and utm fields that need to appear as links. One of the fields is a company url another is a link to a company specific comm etc. When the doc is created it is appearing as plain text and not a link.

For the utms, we need them to appear as home.company.com but have the full utm with campaign stuff underneath it like a usual link in docs. 

None of the other articles on here seems to help. Someone suggested a href but didn’t say if i put it in the field in zapier with the data column included in there or how to get it to be row specific or in google docs. 

If google docs.. where/how? Like this below?  Or do I need to do some sort of fancy formatting? not my area of expertise. 

Google append was another suggestion but I’ve 250 docs to do with 4-8 different links os not sure if that would even work or be the best way of doing it. 

icon

Best answer by ken.a 7 November 2023, 10:57

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Just to clarify, tried the href in the zap field and separately in the doc. neither worked. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @RJSF,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Google Docs does not support HTML or Markdown when we're creating documents from a template. This came up in the context of hyperlinking a URL. The HTML/Markdown is just passed through as plaintext.

However, we do have an open feature request for the “Create Document from Template” action to support HTML. I have added you as another interested member to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps!